any reason not to use graphite gasket on glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Just rebuilt my f602 n, replaced the upper air/secondary burn chamber, trying to chase down why it's burning so hot (will post a how-to in another post, since there doesn't seem to be much info on the interwebs). Haven't fired it up yet, but if it's still hot I'm going to replace the glass gasket from 3/16" plain gasket to 1/4". Any reason not to use graphite gasket?

The gasket should match factory spec, particularly in density.

I'd like to use something a little thicker to get a better seal on the glass. The manual is rather cryptic: "Gasket................................................LD 187-1 Ø4.8x600"

Ld= low density? Can you elaborate on the significance of the density on the seal?

Graphite is fine, some manuf. uses them stock.

How bout the density? Seems that if anything a higher density would be better, as long as it fits.
No, high density can actually cause greater problems in the wrong application. Lower density compresses better and sometimes makes a better seal. Some stoves and applications are more particular than others in this regard.