Any reviews of the Quadra Fire Adventure 3?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
I have been considering a Quadra Fire Adventure 3, however my scouring of the interwebs hasn't turned up much more than marketing nonsense...has Quadra Fire actually sold any of these units? Any help is appreciated

Do not get one! I've had mine for 2 winters now And there are a list of problems. The stove on automatic control is impossible to keep at a safe operating tempature, most of you won't believe me but I'm telling you I've have this stove to 1500 degrees, the set it and forget slogan is a joke. You cannot load the stove more then half way with out it overfireing. I've called the dealer, I've had Techs at the house to look it, everyone tells me nothing worng and they can't understand why it's getting to hot. I've used every type of wood from oak to cherry to maple etc... nothing changes. the stove is too big and to new with to many bugs not even close to getting worked out with NO CUSTOMER SERVICE to help because appetanty no one has this stove and the techs and dealers no nothing about them. I will gladly send pics and videos of any questions anyone has

Reactions: Wes1222
I too have one and have similar problems, no customer service, (the store I bought mine from has great support though) when the thermostat works it's great but it's always broke down and having to run manually which is a pain in the ass.

I too have one and have similar problems, no customer service, (the store I bought mine from has great support though) when the thermostat works it's great but it's always broke down and having to run manually which is a pain in the ass.
Seems like a fairly simple controller circuit. What part(s) actually is failing, just the controller board? It would be good to know more about the failure, whether it is due to underated components, transient voltage spikes, etc..

Reactions: Woody Stover
Seems like a fairly simple controller circuit. What part(s) actually is failing, just the controller board? It would be good to know more about the failure, whether it is due to underated components, transient voltage spikes, etc..

Components, especially ICs, may have an optimistic upper operating temperature on the datasheet because not many end users run them at the high end. I don't know where this stove keeps its electronics, but an overfiring 1500 degree stove probably doesn't have many cool places to stash a circuit board.

Here's a great discussion of some of the challenges with getting components that run reliably at temperature. http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/high-temperature-electronic-pose-design-challenges.html

Heat shielded under the stove would be the best I'd think,. The floor protection requirement is ember protection only. But it would be interesting to know if heat is the reason for component failure. Unfortunately the data set here is much too limited to know if this is a local or broader issue.

The mechanical part of the air controls also needs to be designed so that the failure mode is a closed flapper. Nobody wants an overfire due to a power outage or component failure.

Crispyburnt's story sounds more like a straight up air leak to me, though...

Any updates? I have the adventure 2 and similar issues. One night I couldn't get it out of smart burn. couldn't even turn the stove off. had to manually close her down I thought turning it off on the wall thermostat would do it. nope. same issue with dealer. too new of a stove for them

I have the Adventure 3 with blower. Been operating it for 3 months. No problems. Clean burn takes priority, so regardless of thermostat setting, it runs hot through the high heat phase. Typically 600-700 degrees on top and the same or slightly above on the un-insulated flue. Stove puts off a ton of heat. Not recommended for an occupied room (unfinished basement room, where I have it, is perfect). No faults yet and it will run for several days without power (battery backup).

following up on this post as I also have an adventure III with control board issues. Basically, no response from the thermostat when calling for heat. Has anyone designed a circuit that removes the clean burn button from the controls? We don't use it and as mentioned above it seems to be dangerous.