Any way to determine good pellets? I am somewhat lost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How many tons do you burn a year
3/half to 4 tons.. after shoulder season[off/on] we begin 24/7 burning around late November, early December..
I do also burn EasyBlaze super premo softwoods which are almost as hot as the firs for 1st couple months.. usually around mid October here it's time for some heating at least overnight.

Last edited:
I have tried 3 Different Brands on my Harmon XXV (New this year). No Difference in them I can tell.

North Idaho Energy
Plus 2 others (Too lazy to go look).

Going NI next year because 4 bags had water in them and ruined some
North Idaho is all I burn, their an excellent burning pellet. I did find a source that sold Rocky Canyon Premium Red Fir pellets last season and they were the chit in my opinion. If you have a north 40 Outfitters in the neighborhood, keep an eye on what their stocking this year, they were slightly cheaper than North Id. Try Rocky Canyon if you get a chance.

I went with North Idaho EL Pellets. 5 Tons for 200 per ton with 50 for deliver from ACE HW. Going to use Heat Pump until nighttime below 30f.

Probably depends on what kind of stove you have
Ravelli Dynamic System
View attachment 237259

RDS, the fire follows our rules

RDS. Or Ravelli Dynamic System. RDS is Ravelli’s innovative system for automatically regulating combustion parameters and ensuring maximum efficiency and safety from your stove. RDS is a brand new concept in the field of biomass fuelled heating. The system is the expression of an intelligent and environmentally compatible new technology developed thanks to major investments in R&D and close cooperation with the Technical Physics department of the Mechanical Engineering faculty of the University of Brescia.

Dynamic operation, more efficient,
safer and cheaper

Normal variations in pellet quality, flue draft, altitude above sea level and operating temperature make it impossible for conventional stoves to achieve optimal efficiency. Ravelli’s exclusive RDS system automatically varies combustion parameters to maintain optimum combustion parameters and ensure maximum efficiency.
Yep, I have a Ravelli RV100C.

All stoves are different, try some and see what works best. Not every stove has full adjustability. Mine is one of them, and Pro Pellets work excellent in it. I've checked specs on bags and it seems they are similar to Barefoot, but I have to choose what's available in my area. Other pellets might be a little cheaper but I'd go through more of them trying to maintain the same heat. Then when I really need the heat in mid February it's not there. They also didn't burn hot enough on heat range 1 to maintain fire reliably, the fire would go out often.

I used to get them for $200 a ton or less, but not anymore. Paid $270 a ton this year, or $300 with tax and delivery which proved to be well worth it. Apples to apples I could heat the house for not much more with LP at $1.70/gallon last I checked, but it's not a fair comparison. The boiler heats the uninsulated basement too so I'm using at least twice as much LP. I'm also not a fan of having a pipe in every room that could spring a leak at any time.

Soo...stocked with HomeDepot StoveChow three tons and already burned a few...very happy and 229,- a ton/ 4.58 a bag

Hello
I am on my first pellet stove and it keeps our house at a great temp...
But finding good pellets seems a lottery kind of deal...
I had Tractor in white bag...not bad for 4 and change...but now gone and replaced by some for 5 and change and they are awful...
And before i had a few good ones from lowe's but the one i got yesterday seems to have more ash then fire in it...
And i looked around online...and some say softwood are they to go and other only touch hardwood...
Is there any logic to follow?
I would like to buy bulk, but since my experiences are so irritating, i would love to understand what to look for...

Thx for any light that u can shed into this subject...

I actually find Tractor Supply pellets to be dirty and a crap shoot on quality.

Since you’re in NJ like me, I suggest either going through Bucks Pellets or Annachar Pellet Fuel.
I have become a convert to soft woods because of the really low ash and higher temperature burn. The downside is more creosote to clean in the off season. This season I am burning Easy Blaze pellets and I am very satisfied.

Good luck!

I actually find Tractor Supply pellets to be dirty and a crap shoot on quality.

Since you’re in NJ like me, I suggest either going through Bucks Pellets or Annachar Pellet Fuel.
I have become a convert to soft woods because of the really low ash and higher temperature burn. The downside is more creosote to clean in the off season. This season I am burning Easy Blaze pellets and I am very satisfied.

Good luck!
I get easyblaze softwoods from buckspellets every year. Great softwood but disagree about the creosote. I dont get or see any ever.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
First post I ever read in 6 years that somebody said to stay away from softwood. Yikes! Maybe burning wood stove but not wood pellets.

Last edited:
It all depends on what works best in your stove. Hardwood only is what works for mine but plenty of people get great results with softwood.

It all depends on what works best in your stove. Hardwood only is what works for mine but plenty of people get great results with softwood.
Just curious here. What stove do you have and what results happens when you burn softwood.

Vogelzang 5770. I’ve never tried full softwood, not that I’ve even seen them around here. But the blended pellets burned like crap with many problems. The hardwood ones burn amazing with zero problems. My stove doesn’t have a lot of adjustments, most settings are pre programmed. So when I find something that works I stick with it.

Vogelzang 5770. I’ve never tried full softwood, not that I’ve even seen them around here. But the blended pellets burned like crap with many problems. The hardwood ones burn amazing with zero problems. My stove doesn’t have a lot of adjustments, most settings are pre programmed. So when I find something that works I stick with it.
That's interesting. My Harman Burns anything but I never tried burning blend. I burn exclusively soft Woods.

First winter on Stove chow from HD only and happy like a toddler in disney world...
No idea if that is blend, soft or hard...i assume blend

First winter on Stove chow from HD only and happy like a toddler in disney world...
No idea if that is blend, soft or hard...i assume blend
they are made by energex. They are a Hardwood. I never liked them they were too much Ash. Good heat though.

Last edited: