Anybody burning in Sedore or other 'exotic' stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know MSG had researched and planned to carry that line of stoves maybe he will charm in or pm him

As a Sedore user I can say they are a massive radiant heating device of which I've seen no comparison? I have two model 3000 stoves which I've been completely satisfied with for many years. In my home the Sedore is in the attached garage and heats the entire house from that location with no circulation. Granted its not 80 degrees in my bedroom on the opposite side of the home but nothing in the house frieze's and in most parts its quite comfortable. Being in the garage its easy access to wood and sits on the concrete slab. I've got water coils to install for tapping into the present hot water system but seem to never get around to installing them, as its quite comfortable the way it is. I also don't want to rely on electricity for my heat as we lose power frequently here in Northern Minnesota and have had over two weeks where it was -20F already this year with the worst yet to come.

Attachments

• IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 339
NFPA says no stoves in residential garages, but they do not clarify what is a garage and what is a shop. I have a Pellet Stove (with permit, etc.) in my garage.

I think they are speaking about attached garages (sharing house walls) where cars, power equipment, gasoline, etc. is stored, but the exact definition may be up to the AHJ.

I'll look in the 2006 NFPA and the other mechanical codes to see if they have expounded on that.

BTW, it seems as if Canada DOES allow stoves in garages, but they need to be a certain distance off the floor. That used to be the code here also, the idea being that gas fumes may hang around low. In NJ I remember even gas hot waters in the garage were built on platforms for this exact same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.