Anybody got a chiminea that looks nice and lasts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I bought this steel chiminea a few years back, probably was one of popular ones on Amazon. People said it would rust bad and they were right. At first I didn’t care since it was only for occasional deck use, but it really does look crappy and is a rusty, scaly mess to handle when moving.

So steel ones are gonna rust out quick from the heat. Terra cotta one’s absorb moisture and fall apart. Anybody got a decent model that might endure time a little better?

442B7B29-BAF9-4BE3-AF2D-909BAB617DA8.jpeg

I have a Big Green Egg chiminea that looks as good as the day I brought it home about 5 years ago. I'll admit it's kinda small but it has held up very well.

Do you have access to an old washing machine drum? They make great fire pits (see my profile pic). Can also buy one off Etsy if you want it more polished/fancy. All the drainage holes make for a great burn.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
I've got a similar one and so long as it doesn't crack when it freezed I didn't care. I have thought about applying stove black or extra high heat paint or butter or oil and just maintaining it but that won't last outdoors.

Solo stove bonfire. Not a chiminea but dang not smelling like smoke is awesome. They are releasing a Yukon model that’s a lot larger. Not cheap but I love it. And it’s a great way to use up shorts and uglies....

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire/
Those Solo Stove products are awesome. I have the smaller Campfire (large-ish camp stove that I double as a tiny firepit) and the secondary combustion works beautifully, the nichrome wire grate holds up really well (with purple-white hot coals down there) and I have burned pellets in mine by adding a 7" round stainless chainmail scrubber as a supplemental grate (so pellets don't fall into the ash pan).

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
hated my chiminea; tossed it in favor of an old porcelain-coated Morso 1125 wood stove. Longevity is TBD, but it looks a heck of a lot better, and doesn't let the smoke swirl nearly as bad now that I stuck a few feet of 8" pipe on it.

Reactions: VirginiaIron