Anybody know an emergency sweep??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
So, the short story.. my wife and I got a place with a stove going into the existing furnace flu, and the guy cleaning the flu said it was completely clogged..knowing what I know, anybody know somebody in Delaware county NY for an emergency cleaning?
Thanks in advance.

Ouch. Is the furnace using the same flue?

Maybe a local shop could put you in touch with a good guy. Friday night is going to be cold!

^^ yea, it'll be the first run off the "new to me" bkk (@Marshy).. but that doesn't do much for my current issue.. and I wouldn't trust the stove shop, if I didn't read the bk pages for years my set up would been 6" single wall.. he cleaned it a bit, puts my mind at ease a little.. but still, you know!!

@EatenByLimestone , sorry, no there was an existing going into it.. I disconnected it..

I'm confused. So he cleaned it a bit? Or it's plugged? Did he say what bits he cleaned? What's left for build up? Glaze? Any other heat source until you can get a qualified sweep in?

If you are venting your BKk into a masonry chimney you are going to want to watch it like a hawk. IVe seen many glazed right up, bad. And I don't see many BK's honestly. I don't know if people are more likely to Service the flue themselves or what but I only see a handful or two a year.

There was an existing tile stove in the house that went into the Mason chimney, that I removed.. the bkk has its own dedicated 15' strait up chimney.. but yea, I forget my wife's exact word but he said it was good for now and that worries me..

15' with a 90(or two 45's) off the stove and then ninety at the breech is kinda short. I'm sure you know that from being on here. Can you access the top to have a good look down yourself with a flashlight?

Ahh sorry reading back is this a metal chimney? Are you in fact straight up, no 90's?

Yea, the bkk it's straight up.. I'd post picks, but I'm on my phone..btw, it's the furnace flu I'm nervous about..

Sorry James, don't know any sweeps in your area. I'm a DIY kind if person anyways.

Just to be clear, the chimney of concern is the masonry chimney that the former owner used for their wood stove and now serves the furnace.

You had it swept once earlier this year which the sweep told you it was plugged but got it opened up and told you it should do for a little while? (

My guess is he thought you were responsible for the mess he just cleaned and was assuming you'd continue burning in the same manner that caused the mess and thet it would be plugged before long again. The furnace shouldn't cause much of any buildup. I personally wouldn't be too concerned. You could disconnect the pipe from the thimble and use a mirror and a good flash light to inspect the flue.

The BK King has a separate class A chimney pipe going straight up and no issues with that? How's it performing? Haven't see you in the BK thread yet.

Plugged, whats does that mean? Was there something in there he pulled out? A plugged screen on the cap is normal, but the chimney. Plugged with creosote, I think you would be replacing it.

If you can, I would look at this and understand what issues you have. It's not hard to do your own cleaning. You'll sleep a lot better knowing it's been done right.