Anyone burn sourwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
I was splitting some red oak today, and there were a few pieces that were obviously splitting different than the rest - lighter in the center and very "stringy" when split. Relatively light, too, when compared to the oak. A friend suggested it was some type of gum, but dad informed me that it was sourwood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourwood

Anyone here burn it? If so, what are your impressions? I may chuck a few pieces into the Endeavor tonight.

Pagey said:
I was splitting some red oak today, and there were a few pieces that were obviously splitting different than the rest - lighter in the center and very "stringy" when split. Relatively light, too, when compared to the oak. A friend suggested it was some type of gum, but dad informed me that it was sourwood.

Anyone here burn it? If so, what are your impressions? I may chuck a few pieces into the Endeavor tonight.

You shouldnt be using it tonight if you just split it!

CowboyAndy said:
Pagey said:

You shouldnt be using it tonight if you just split it!

I should clarify: these are small limbs (2" to 4" diameter) which have been cut and in the dry since March. I just split some for giggles yesterday when I was splitting up the massive red oak. I think they're pretty dry.

I'll burn it if I have to cut the tree down or push it over for some reason anyway. Once it dries, there isn't much left. They usually aren't very big around here, so the pieces make good filler once you already have some larger splits in the stove.
I prefer good solid hickory or oak but I hate to see anything rot and go to waste so I usually end up burning a mixture that includes hickory, oak, maple, dogwood, poplar, cherry, sweetgum, sourwood, elm and beech (in order of preference).

JeffRey30747 said:
I'll burn it if I have to cut the tree down or push it over for some reason anyway. Once it dries, there isn't much left. They usually aren't very big around here, so the pieces make good filler once you already have some larger splits in the stove.
I prefer good solid hickory or oak but I hate to see anything rot and go to waste so I usually end up burning a mixture that includes hickory, oak, maple, dogwood, poplar, cherry, sweetgum, sourwood, elm and beech (in order of preference).

you prefer poplar over cherry? oh, the humanity.

CowboyAndy said:

Not so much because of the way it burns but more due to the size of the trees that I can harvest. The poplars that came out where my driveway is now were 15-18" diameter. The cherries that I have here do well to make 6-8". Currently, though, my Dad and I are working up a blown down water oak that I would guess is 28-30" in diameter. We have moved about 1.5 cord out so far and have just gotten started on the trunk.

JeffRey30747 said:
CowboyAndy said:

Not so much because of the way it burns but more due to the size of the trees that I can harvest. The poplars that came out where my driveway is now were 15-18" diameter. The cherries that I have here do well to make 6-8". Currently, though, my Dad and I are working up a blown down water oak that I would guess is 28-30" in diameter. We have moved about 1.5 cord out so far and have just gotten started on the trunk.

The cherrys where we cut average 10-20". We felled one that had a 36" base and split 3 ways, each was an easy 12-14". Got 1 1/2 cords out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.