Anyone ever heard of Copper Stove Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FN_9

Aug 26, 2008
Someone told me that copper stove pipe is used in Europe and really makes for a nice look on their wood stoves.

I've searched around for this on the internet and can't find anything. Is this just not offered in the US?

Thanks
Mike

I've never seen it...and it would look nice...but i'm sure it wouldn't stay up for more than a day. Too many a-holes stealing any precious metal for scrap.

You could have your own rolled but be prepared to grab your wallet. My dad has 3-48x96"x1/16"thk shts of copper that he was going to make a solar cell out of back in the 70's...he ended up not using them and i'm thinking about buying them from him to make soldered gutters. You could just as easily roll it for a chimney section.

What I know about stovepipe is that it's all been tested and listed by the Underwriters Laboratory and certified safe for the temperature to which it might be exposed in the intended application. I've never seen any that wasn't steel...but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I've just not seen it. Personally, I doubt you'll find it, copper's not found in many high temperature applications, but I'm not sure. You could get the same look you're after with a bit more effort by sheathing standard stovepipe in a cylinder of light guage copper. I agree, in the right setting it would be stunning. Rick

Yeah - a custom fabrication job probably wouldn't be in the budget. I was just curious.

Well...look at the money you'll be saving by not having to buy all that Brasso to keep it looking spiffy. %-P Rick

Copper plated. Regular steel or stainless underneath. Makes for lots of work shining it up, or let it develop a patina

KeithO - Are you saying you know of a product or that you would have to take standard pipe to get dipped?

Have never seen any here, but take a look in your local yellow pages under "electroplating". The local guys will normally work with you to polish and plate whatever you want. You probably want a nice thick coating to stand up to many cleaning cycles. I imagine you would need to do double wall for it to be durable for any reasonable period of time.

Makes sense

There's quite a bit of industry my way so I could probably find someone - of course paying for it might be a different story.

I appreciate the advice
Thanks

It wouldn't look nice for long! Copper discolors from heat, fingerprints, moisture in the air, etc........but I have seen brass and chrome plated stuff way back when. I suppose copper could take the heat easily, but the cost and the fact that it will not stay good looking might work against it. Enamel over steel is the usual choice for the very styled look.

Looks like plated steel. Maybe you can get a connector pipe loan from the credit union. :wow: Rick

I guess a copper pipe would look great. I'm gonna go to Home Cheapo tomorrow and see if they sell high temperature copper spray paint. Thanks for the idea,

If you get the pipe down to bare metal and then polish before plating, the actual electroplating should not be very expensive at all. I used to get just about everything that went into my projects electroplated (mostly bright zinc or yellow passivated zinc, but occasionally nickle or nickle/chrome).

Status
Not open for further replies.