Anyone ever use one of these

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I’m sure they couldn’t sell these today. What happens when a log stops it and the other tire pulls the car off. Crazy!
507C55E2-4265-4711-8AE6-86FF950DC215.png

Here's a video:

Now that I've watched that, I'm off a find my blindfold so I can play some lawn jarts.

Reactions: blacktail
I know guys from many years ago who got their leg wrapped up in tractor power take off shafts. No stopping this thing. Would need gards snd remote feed if selling these today. Otherwise the setup looks slow and usless. They do make them for skidsteers - those look pretty handy.

If you did most of your splitting by hand you could save this for the problem chunks maybe you could chain the car to an immovable object to prevent it escaping if the screw got stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you did most of your splitting by hand you could save this for the problem chunks maybe you could chain the car to an immovable object to prevent it escaping if the screw got stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sorry I ment
I’m sure they couldn’t sell these today. What happens when a log stops it and the other tire pulls the car off. Crazy!View attachment 253060
Never used one of those, but in the 60s and 70s we used powder wedges a lot.
They were a blast.

Reactions: TreePointer
I'd be less worried about the car moving as I would be about slipping and falling into the screw. The ergonomics of that setup (low to the ground, I'm bent over trying to jam a round into it) leave a lot to be desired.

Watched a powder wedge video (that looks fun!), and I'd almost feel safer with that. At least you could get behind something solid.

Well I'll take the El Camino.

I am a risk taker. I have two sets of antique Yard Darts. Nothing goes better than tossing heavy pointy metal things at each other while drinking beers.

We had those growing up. Ours wore out and broke from using playing with them,all the time. I never understood the trouble with them. I mean, a large heavy pointy object is flying towards you...um, you get out of the way.
But then again we drank from garden hoses, rode bikes without helmets, drove in the beds of pick-ups, never had a carseat either and survived to adulthood.
Oh well...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Had one for years on a 1964 4 speed Chevy, and later a 1970 Ford F150. Jack up the driver side...came with a corded disconnect so you could kill the engine if trouble arose. Put it into low, and let it slowly spin...does not need speed, just at an idle. Low/Granny on the Chevy would split anything! If you got a round stuck, put into reverse to loosen up and start again...maybe with a little throttle..not much. Would split the largest rounds...but stay out of the way when it flipped over the top and slammed into the railroad tie that I used as a stop on the left! Also, do not...DO NOT... put your boot on the point while spinning, it will suck right through the sole and out the top...ask me how I know! Doesn't look that sharp, and just spinning slowly, but......

You could buy different adapter plates for different bolt patterns to bolt on the wheel. Moved on in later years to a homemade hydraulic, and then a Northern Hydraulics 37 ton vertical/horizontal...still in use. But split a lot of wood with that Stickler

Reactions: Rob711
there was a vid of one on a small pick up , round got stuck ,drove pick up off what ever it was jacked up on and off down the hill it went, guy chasing it all the way. things are still available, some with improvements like a cage around it and replaceable nose cone.

You cant design for stupidity.
Darwinisim is there to weed out stupidity,to bad the guberments get involved with all the safty crap