anyone ever used a freze dryer or make their own?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
a dehydrator takes so long. and boy you better make sure comp bone dry cause least little bit of humidity in a "jr" stuff will mold>>>>
is there a tester for checking such.
got big store here to price math cherries $1.99 a pound. so bought 7 pounds
I got canning eqip. but its a pain too
thoughts yall

Yeah - but before this one you were talking about 10k to get in the freeze dry game. Do you know of a cheaper one or a DIY?

Yeah - but before this one you were talking about 10k to get in the freeze dry game. Do you know of a cheaper one or a DIY?
who mentioned 10 K????
thought about canning more. did 5qts of our g beans other day.... forgot the vinegar in the water.I did filter the water(Big Berkey type) than ran thru coffee filter. last time used rain water in the water bath canner. fresh rainwater. not tin the food itself.Our water is so hard since its water from the ground....
plus hard to keep jars hot when raw packing them....One jar broke. asked Hubby to submerge each one slower back in the hot water after filling each qt jars with cut up beans and hot water. Next time might try plugging in a "warmer" to keep each jar warmer. Food warmer type. I have several bought used...

who mentioned 10 K????

I did. By "you" in the previous post I meant anyone looking to freeze dry.

After researching this I've come to the conclusion that these are the options:

1) Build your own - sounds like a time consuming project and I haven't seen any plans or success stories on this.
2) The 3k model - only one in this price range.
3) The 10k models - professional level machinery.
4) Don't freeze dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.