Anyone familiar with UbiFi for Internet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got my my modem hooked up. I've got a rockin' signal (-73dbm), so speeds look great! 52 down, 24 up on my initial test.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7388485072.png

I work in IT, so I'm a bit particular about how my network is set up. I already have a router and all my equipment/devices configured the way I want them, so I didn't want to use the built in router features in the MoFi box. I took the time to switch the modem into bridge mode ("IP Pass-through") so that all of the router features are disabled and it just acts like a modem. Plugged my existing router, it pulled an IP address, and I was off and running.

I'll post back my thoughts in another couple days once I've had some time to play with it.

Hi SlyFerret,

We are looking into Ubifi and I came across your post. Are you still using the service and if so, is it still going well? Are they still in business? They are out of the router AND sim card on their site, so we can't use them currently even if they are. If not, do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I have a friend that is interested in this too. The nearest towers are 3.5 and 5.5 miles away, but there is a hillside in the way. During March to June 1st Verizon uncapped the sevice and provided unlimited wireless. Normally they limp along with barely getting internet and no video, but during that period they had great reception -96db and could stream movies. Now it is worse than ever, even with an outside antenna they are often seeing -115db.

They charge an extra $20 if you need a public IP address (common for folks that work from home). I haven’t found any apps that don’t work right without it other than accessing my plex media server from outside my network. I’m not willing to pay an extra $20 for that alone.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
They advertise the service is $99 a month. Did you have to request not having the public IP address to get the $79/mo price?

They advertise the service is $99 a month. Did you have to request not having the public IP address to get the $79/mo price?

The price has just increased over the last 2 years, it was at $89 for awhile in between there too.

I ran across this one the other day which is a little cheaper https://bixwireless.com/

ATT also offers a fixed wireless plan for businesses if that's an option for $60

The price has just increased over the last 2 years, it was at $89 for awhile in between there too.

I ran across this one the other day which is a little cheaper https://bixwireless.com/

ATT also offers a fixed wireless plan for businesses if that's an option for $60
When I was on AT&T I could barely get one bar on the phone there. At times I got nothing. They are on Verizon because of this. Will look at bixwireless. Do you know what carrier they use?

When I was on AT&T I could barely get one bar on the phone. At times I got nothing. They are on Verizon because of this. Will look at bixwireless. Do you know what carrier they use?

ATT or TMobile. We get 1 bar here on a phone but I added 2 directional outdoor antennas and it bumped up to 4.

Here's a speed test from this morning on mine. Tower is roughly 10 miles away.
Screenshot_20200703-053907.png

ATT or TMobile. We get 1 bar here on a phone but I added 2 directional outdoor antennas and it bumped up to 4.

Here's a speed test from this morning on mine. Tower is roughly 10 miles away.
View attachment 261416
Thanks. that's pretty good. They had that speed from March through the end of May using the Wilson outdoor antennas. Since June 1st their signal strength with the antennas has been terrible. -115 db today. They keep getting put on hold when they try to call Verizon tech support. Yesterday it was almost 2 hrs of hold time.

I told them about Bix Wireless. A friend of theirs said they had cell reception at their house on T-Mobile, so that might work. I had AT&T last year and there was barely a signal, no bars on some days.

Coming back around to this. Dumped Ubifi in November after having months of the random data disconnects.

Tried T-mobile 4G Home Internet first $50/month for unlimited data. Signal at my house was marginal and managed 10-15mpbs. A mile down the road it's 50, they've since changed which modem they're using so it may be better with added 5G support.

Got Verizon 4G Home Internet next. Modem looked nearly the same as T-mobile. $70/month for unlimited data. We're at 3 months of using 600gb a month. Average speed hangs around 50mbps, sometimes dropping to 20ish during high demand times.

I got an invitation for Starlink the other day but passed on it since Verizon is meeting our needs pretty well at the moment but it's good to know that's another choice but the $99/month and $500 equipment is definitely a hindrance.

Reactions: sloeffle
Coming back around to this. Dumped Ubifi in November after having months of the random data disconnects.

Tried T-mobile 4G Home Internet first $50/month for unlimited data. Signal at my house was marginal and managed 10-15mpbs. A mile down the road it's 50, they've since changed which modem they're using so it may be better with added 5G support.

Got Verizon 4G Home Internet next. Modem looked nearly the same as T-mobile. $70/month for unlimited data. We're at 3 months of using 600gb a month. Average speed hangs around 50mbps, sometimes dropping to 20ish during high demand times.

I got an invitation for Starlink the other day but passed on it since Verizon is meeting our needs pretty well at the moment but it's good to know that's another choice but the $99/month and $500 equipment is definitely a hindrance.
Lucky. Their 4G Verizon signal is not strong enough to qualify. They applied for the Starlink beta but have not heard anything back from them.

Lucky. Their 4G Verizon signal is not strong enough to qualify. They applied for the Starlink beta but have not heard anything back from them.

Yeah this is the first time in the 15 years we've lived here that we have more than one option. Pretty bad considering we're only 25 miles outside of a 100k metro area and fiber runs 1.5 miles from us in 2 directions.

Our Ubifi is still rock solid. Not the fastest, but always works. Our local school offered up a Verizon 4G hotspot and I took the SIM card and put it in a Netgear Orbi. it works great. 20 - 30 Mbs regularly.

Well, I had a good run with UbiFi until their service completely imploded . AT&T made them change out their SIM cards for a new underlying plan that required routing customers’ data through a 3rd party data center instead of AT&T’s internal data centers. If anyone here was using them because of this thread and is still having trouble and poor internet quality, I ended up switching to U2 Connect Now’s rural broadband service. I picked their AT&T SIM option, but they also have SIMs for Verizon and TMobile. It’s working well in my old MoFi 4500 modem that UbiFi sold me a few years ago.

Well, I had a good run with UbiFi until their service completely imploded . AT&T made them change out their SIM cards for a new underlying plan that required routing customers’ data through a 3rd party data center instead of AT&T’s internal data centers. If anyone here was using them because of this thread and is still having trouble and poor internet quality, I ended up switching to U2 Connect Now’s rural broadband service. I picked their AT&T SIM option, but they also have SIMs for Verizon and TMobile. It’s working well in my old MoFi 4500 modem that UbiFi sold me a few years ago.
I also quit using their service after they announced the drastic price increase. I have been able to get a Verizon SIM card through our local school and it is working even better.