Anyone get their hands on the Stihl Hexa file yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Any one able to get the Hexa files and try them?

Nobody? After seeing some of the posts i think this is where i'm going, if they don't price it like a bugatti.

Reactions: duramaxman05
OK I'll bit..do you have a link to what you're talking about .. 🤔

I saw a few YouTube vids. A while ago. Seemed like a way to sell more product. Here is a special chain and a special file for the the special chain. It will cut faster (15-20%???) but cost you more. Didn’t husky do something similar or I am I making that up?

Similar to square ground but puts an angle on it. Also file looks pretty easy to keep excellent alignment.

Reactions: duramaxman05
They cut good, not a huge difference over a square cut chain. Personally I stick with my 33RS chain (full comp round grind) because I dont hand file often and I cant sharpen any of these new fancy square/hexa chains on my Oregon chain grinder...

I'm a hand filer so if it's a nice file to use, not too expensive, and cuts as good as a square grind, i'm gonna try it.

Reactions: ctreitzell
I saw a few YouTube vids. A while ago. Seemed like a way to sell more product. Here is a special chain and a special file for the the special chain. It will cut faster (15-20%???) but cost you more. Didn’t husky do something similar or I am I making that up?
I think the Husky version is called "X-Cut" or something like that. Not sure if it's "cross-cut" or "ex-cut". My chain grinder does a good job and offers consistent and repeatable results with standard round ground chain. I think these "special" chains are probably good for guys that hand file, but I cut way too much to deal with that.

Reactions: novaman64
Still waiting for the Hexa files to be available.

I don't know. I still see it as another marketing tool to sell more stuff. I don't see how it would be any better than round filed. It might make it easier to keep the file depth correct, but then you have to keep it rotated correctly too. My round chains cut faster than 99% of any chains I have ever seen. I sharpened one for a guy today (and dressed his bar) and he was blown away at how sharp it was and how well it cut. I had him try it on a log here before he left and he didn't want to stop cutting.

Square chain has a different cutting geometry, and function, but I think hexa and round are pretty much the same.

According to Stihl hexa chain cuts 10% faster than round file chain. It's a narrow kerf chain meaning the narrower cutters requires engine to use less energy to pull/ draw the chain cutter through the wood/ kerf.
don't see how it would be any better than round filed. It might make it easier to keep the file depth correct, but then you have to keep it rotated correctly too.
No need to consciously keep file rotated correctly, as the 'bottom' of the hex file is flat and is indexed on the bottom of the gullet. The file shape is hexagonal (six-sided).
forestry.com remarks that hexa chain cuts faster and smoother than RS. It's not as 'grabby'.

I'd like to try it too. It's odd how Stihl markets items in the US. According to distributor websites some items made available in some regional branch districts in advance of others.

Reactions: ctreitzell
I've watched a lot of people file chain, and I'd wager that most of them would have a very difficult time keeping the bottom of that file flat.
It's a skinny little flat and when you have a grip on the file, it is the tendency to twist it one way or the other.

10% faster than round filed (out of the box)? There are a lot of variables there. It's not easy to-get a chain truly and consistently sharp.

Narrower kerf than what?

Guilty ot treeson on youtube has a good race test on speed of cut on round chain out the box vs sharpened and square ground chain, And Hexa hexa.

Last edited:
And this from those guys shows hand file a new chain can make it better and also a square file lesson and speed tests on the chains.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on hexa. The only part of the cutter doing work is the top .030" and the angles and geometry there are the same between round and hex. I think it's just marketing and another way to get the same job done with different tools (that cost more).

Anyone hear ever get a chance to try one of these hexa files/ chains?

Anyone hear ever get a chance to try one of these hexa files/ chains?
I tried one, they cut good but I couldn't get it to cut as good as it did new. That chain has now joined my round ground ones.