Anyone have a list of things I need for my yearly cleaning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakkxx

Nov 27, 2012
Bethlehem, CT
I've got a CB1200I and I really need a rainy day project. I have no problem diving deep into this stove and would like to do a very thorough cleaning. (Blowers out, fire pot out, heat exchangers, etc..) Id rather have the gaskets and tools on-hand before I start.

While it might be unnecessary for this after only one year, I like to be proactive with things. Stove has run fine all year and would like to keep it that way. My only complaint is a very sticky pot door, and a door gasket that has come apart. I've seen threads on how to improve the linkage, and I figure the door gasket is an easy fix.

Thoughts? Best place to get parts?? What do you use to REALLY clean baffles, heat exchangers??

Someone posted a list of year end tasks a little while ago. Try using the 'search engine' from the main page - it should come up there.

Vacuum - check
Stove brush - check
drop-cloth - check
long sharp pointy thing - check
beer - check

an hour of uninterrupted time....that may be harder to find

Items 1-3 are not needed should add the phone number to your local dealer as # 1 and then plenty of beer to drink while you watch them work

The stove manual.

Assorted screwdrivers and sockets

A set of replacement gaskets and no beer until after the stove is spotless and all gaskets are checked and fine.

Something to plug both the exhaust and air intake.

Something to act as a desiccant to put in the fire box area.

Remember the stove should be unplugged before working on it as well as for the summer.

Reactions: Heatsource
I use a......... Wait for it........ leaf blower!! (Not always a viable option for everyone, but works well).

I run the leaf blower the entire time I clean and also use an air compressor with an air nozzle, with a 18" piece of flex 1/4" line and I blow all the way down the exchange tubes, exhaust path, scrape pot, clean comb blower, convection blower squirrel cage, etc.. Replace any gaskets and paint inside of firebox with Stove Bright and/or Pam cooking spray. Add a Damp rid in the hopper and one in the ash pan (my Classic Bay freestandings ash pan is open to fire pot area, it isn't just a drop spot for the pot dump)

Cheers

Here are a few photos of the blowers/motors and the painting.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Don2222
Thanks guys. I guess the dealer is the best place for gaskets?? I assume that a few assorted wire brushes will be enough to get the bulk of residue off the internals??

Thanks guys. I guess the dealer is the best place for gaskets?? I assume that a few assorted wire brushes will be enough to get the bulk of residue off the internals??
It depends on what stove you have really. On the CB the exhaust gaskets for the access areas last a very long time. The door gaskets and combustion blower are pretty standard. I'm guessing the only gasket you would need would be for the combustion blower. If you are careful when removing the blower you may be able to salvage it for another season.

1. Beer
2. Hot Wife
3. Repeat

as a manufacturer , my suggestion for a first step is to consult your manual for any items which are either labeled as "annual replacement" or one time use (like the exhaust blower gasket. if the have a CS department like we do you could call them and ask what you need and order if needed.
biggest things are a good vac, tools, drop cloth, brush for the flue, and patience. be ready to get dirty, if you arent sooted to the elbows you aint done yet

Status
Not open for further replies.