Anyone have experience with the Dwarf line of wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sammybear

Aug 27, 2018
North-East Georgia
Hello all, me and my wife are about to take the plunge into an off-grid life, and we will be living in a 36' fifth wheel, a '93 Newmar Kountry Star, until we build our house (probably 2-3 years). We have decided to go the wood stove/oven route for our heating, and a good deal of our cooking. We will have propane as a back-up. We have ~22acres of oak/hickory/pine forest (mainly hardwood), so wood will not be an issue .

After a lot of searching I came across the Dwarf 5kw Cookstove Combo, and found it very interesting, and seemingly a perfect fit. It is compact, but still quite feature rich.

The only downside is that I have been unable to find reviews about the dwarf line, and would like to hear/read some experiences from owners of a Dwarf stove before I "pull the trigger" and buy one.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully somebody can give you info on the stove. For folks that aren't familiar with the Dwarf here it is.

https://www.tinywoodstove.com/product/dwarf-cookstove/

dwarf-5kw-oven.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully somebody can give you info on the stove. For folks that aren't familiar with the Dwarf here it is.

https://www.tinywoodstove.com/product/dwarf-cookstove/

View attachment 229106

Thanks, and thanks for posting the image, it might help people identify what I'm talking about

Looks like it started shipping after a Kickstarter campaign in 2017. It is purpose built for small spaces. No experience but here is a review
https://www.tinywoodstove.com/product/small-stove-the-dwarf-4kw/#reviews

And a background article with some helpful tips on small space heating.
http://www.livinlightly.com/off-grid-heat-small-wood-stoves/

Thanks for the response, the first one I had seen, but I did not want the only review to be one off of their site, as I am unsure how they "moderate" the reviews.

And I will definitely check out the small space heating tips link.

Yes, it's a new stove and we don't get many tiny house stove reviews, though the demand is increasing. Whatever is installed, keep it safe. Woodstoves in tight locations need extra care for safety and clearances.

Please keep us posted on what you get and how it works out. If propane is affordable, that may be a decent way to go, especially if just for a couple seasons.

Hello all, me and my wife are about to take the plunge into an off-grid life, and we will be living in a 36' fifth wheel, a '93 Newmar Kountry Star, until we build our house (probably 2-3 years). We have decided to go the wood stove/oven route for our heating, and a good deal of our cooking. We will have propane as a back-up. We have ~22acres of oak/hickory/pine forest (mainly hardwood), so wood will not be an issue .

After a lot of searching I came across the Dwarf 5kw Cookstove Combo, and found it very interesting, and seemingly a perfect fit. It is compact, but still quite feature rich.

The only downside is that I have been unable to find reviews about the dwarf line, and would like to hear/read some experiences from owners of a Dwarf stove before I "pull the trigger" and buy one.

When you build, are you building a tiny house?

Yes, it's a new stove and we don't get many tiny house stove reviews, though the demand is increasing. Whatever is installed, keep it safe. Woodstoves in tight locations need extra care for safety and clearances.

Please keep us posted on what you get and how it works out. If propane is affordable, that may be a decent way to go, especially if just for a couple seasons.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep you updated. And I want to go wood stove because I will be using it in our house once we build it, plus we want to avoid relying on propane in general.

When you build, are you building a tiny house?

Our house will be a 1000-1200 sq ft monolithic dome home. We will be using the stove we buy for the trailer in the house once we build it.

The main reason the Dwarf 5kw sparks our interest is the oven attachment option. It fits together quite seamlessly, at least from what I've seen on the site and various videos

As the sale did not include the cooker combo, I have decided to shop around some more, as the price-point is now closer to other comparable stoves.

I am seriously thinking about this one:
https://sopkainc.com/sopka/project/concept-2-mini-air/

I think it is a bit bigger, but still quite a good size for a camper/small home. Plus it is 85% efficient compared to the dwarf's 75%, though I am unsure how much difference that will make for me in the long run.

Plus it is 85% efficient compared to the dwarf's 75%, though I am unsure how much difference that will make for me in the long run.
75/85 = .88

So, you’d use 12% less wood, every year. Depending on how much you like or dislike processing firewood, that may or may not be a big deal to you.

As the sale did not include the cooker combo, I have decided to shop around some more, as the price-point is now closer to other comparable stoves.

I am seriously thinking about this one:
https://sopkainc.com/sopka/project/concept-2-mini-air/

I think it is a bit bigger, but still quite a good size for a camper/small home. Plus it is 85% efficient compared to the dwarf's 75%, though I am unsure how much difference that will make for me in the long run.
Interesting. Sopka has been making stoves for a while. They are often rebranded and sold as Italian and UK stoves. If you get one let us know how it works out.

In this style there is also the Vermont Bun Baker Cookstove