Stove advice - First wood burner, new house build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

voland

Sep 15, 2022
North Texas
Hi everyone,

First post so I hope you will forgive me the wall of text

I am working on a new house build and I wanted to get some advice on wood burning stove. To start, and y'all may make fun of me for this, but we live in North Texas. The primary function of the house will be a vacation home. This property will also function as a family getaway in the event of another covid type event. Additionally, on my mind, is the 2020 winter snow storm where we lost power for a week. My kids are a little older now so it probably wouldn't be as bad, but it would be nice to have a place that I could keep heated with just firewood and keep everyone comfortable. I intend on keeping about two or three chords of wood on the property under a covered wood shed and rotate about a chord per year by using some up in a pizza oven or a in a firepit outdoors.

With that in mind, I have two questions.

1st question:
one stove or two? If you look at the attached image, you can see that the main living space is going to be a large and open space, almost 26x30 with what will likely be pretty tall selling. This space will get the primary stove in the location i identified using red. Second location that I would like to be able to keep warm is the master bedroom which I identified in green. I was going to put a smaller stove like the dwarf 4kw or 5kw.

Do I actually need the second stove in the bedroom or will the primary stove keep both of those rooms warm doing a full burn? Would it be better to do two stoves small in the bedroom and not as big in the main living space?

2nd question
I need some sizing recommendations. What would you recommend size wise given the dimensions for each area? Wood burning fireplaces are an option too but I would like to be able to run them for heat with no power available and I know most of them require blower fans to run to really heat the space.

As always, thank you for your time!

V

wood stove location.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First post so I hope you will forgive me the wall of text

I am working on a new house build and I wanted to get some advice on wood burning stove. To start, and y'all may make fun of me for this, but we live in North Texas. The primary function of the house will be a vacation home/part time VRBO rental. I will put up signs asking for renters to not burn the stove and its there for decorative purposes only. This property will also function as a family getaway in the event of another covid type event. Additionally, on my mind, is the 2020 winter snow storm where we lost power for a week. My kids are a little older now so it probably wouldn't be as bad, but it would be nice to have a place that I could keep heated with just firewood and keep everyone comfortable. I intend on keeping about two or three chords of wood on the property under a covered wood shed and rotate about a chord per year by using some up in a pizza oven or a in a firepit outdoors.

With that in mind, I have two questions.

1st question:
one stove or two? If you look at the attached image, you can see that the main living space is going to be a large and open space, almost 26x30 with what will likely be pretty tall selling. This space will get the primary stove in the location i identified using red. Second location that I would like to be able to keep warm is the master bedroom which I identified in green. I was going to put a smaller stove like the dwarf 4kw or 5kw.

Do I actually need the second stove in the bedroom or will the primary stove keep both of those rooms warm doing a full burn? Would it be better to do two stoves small in the bedroom and not as big in the main living space?

2nd question
I need some sizing recommendations. What would you recommend size wise given the dimensions for each area? Wood burning fireplaces are an option too but I would like to be able to run them for heat with no power available and I know most of them require blower fans to run to really heat the space.

As always, thank you for your time!

V

View attachment 299618
First off by code you cannot have a woodstove in a bedroom so that is out

I just can't get behind putting a wood stove in a rental. Especially a short term rental. Many people lack the common sense needed to operate a stove and the possible outcome isn't worth the risk to me. Putting out signs telling people to not use the stove is kinda useless.

I just can't get behind putting a wood stove in a rental. Especially a short term rental. Many people lack the common sense needed to operate a stove and the possible outcome isn't worth the risk to me. Putting out signs telling people to not use the stove is kinda useless.
We are still playing with the rental idea. The odds of us doing that are pretty slim. On a personal level, I just don't want anyone else sleeping in my bed. I wouldn't focus in that as an issue.

I absolutely second this. My neighbor has an old unlisted stove and AirBnB's his place. It's becoming a nuisance property with large parties etc that the owner obviously does not want. It's a cool place located on a very cool piece of property near a small ski resort as well as white water rafting and many many miles of mountain bike trails, hiking etc. It attracts people that want to play hard and party hard because the price is right if you split it among 10-15-20 people. A wood burning stove in a situation like that?! HECK no. Either place or people will be damaged. Even think about people looking for a place to lean, even if you lock the stove somehow, they could wreck your stove pipe.