Anyone have pics of replacing carbon-fiberglass seal on door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very straight forward, just as the instructions say. I recently installed the Rutland rope. Clean out the channel with coarse sandpaper and wash out the dust. The adhesive in the tube tensds to separate and the instructions call for it to be neaded to remix it. There will still be some separated material just under the cap so squeeze some off onto some paper first. Wrap some tape around where you will make the cut and use a very sharp razor blade or knife. Don't stretch the rope during install or it will get skinny on you. Keep a wet rag handy to clean up any glue mishap. I dabbed a little glue on the cut ends to avoid it unravelling. Put wax paper between the rope and the glass where the ends are glued.

No overlap. Cut to length and butt the ends.

Click on the link in your signature, then click on the documents tab and then click on your manual. Scroll down to page 32 and they give instructions on changing the door gasket.

NewtownPA do a ' replacing gasket' search here one of the mods took some pictures...pretty sure I saw a step by step instructions. good luck.

Somewhat related - is a "gasket a gasket" - i.e. as long as the gasket is the right size, does brand or anything make a difference or are there better and worse ones to buy?

They are not all created equal. My OEM gasket had tighter, braids making it much stiffer. As the gasket wore over its ten year life, I adjusted the door several times to compensate. When I replaced it, the Rutland gasket was a much looser coarse weave and resulted in a softer gasket. I had to leave the door adjustment at its closest setting, leaving no margin for wear. I'm pretty certain I won't be getting ten years on the Rutland gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.