Anyone know about Fire Chief 500 wood burning furnaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I am looking to purchase a 2 year oldd fire chief 500 for $500, Is this a good buy? Are theese good furnaces? Also it comes with some flu pipe and duct work not sure hom much. Any advice? Thanks

Attachments

• wood furnance.jpg
    wood furnance.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,038
Id that thing is 2 years old, wow its been abused. Look inside the firebox and make sure that nothings warped badly. For 500 dollars, if it checks out okay I'd buy it. I have heard some good things about those wood furnace, they are well built.

The 500 is selling at the local "Farm King" stores around me for $1700 brand spanking new. I'd think 500 is a decent price, but darned if that thing doesn't look ugly on the outside. If you think that there have been no "warranty voiders" on the firebox then I'd get it because it has a 5 year warranty on the firebox according to their website:
http://www.firechiefwoodfurnace.com/fc500.aspx

anyway, i've never heard anything about them, other than seeing them in the store and thinking they seem to be well made.

Did that thing spend some time in water? Maybe a flooded basement? Is the rust and use going to be an issue?

Nope, as long as the electronics are okay. I would take a wire brush and some high temp paint to the front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.