Anyone know how to wire an external thermostat to a Dexen 2166-302 gas valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockpile

Nov 6, 2023
Vancouver
I have a Heat N Glo fireplace insert that used a Dexen 2166 - 302 valve.

The fireplace operates with a remote that has a rather inaccurate thermostat built into it.

I want to attach an external wall-mounted Honeywell millivolt thermostat to the part of the circuit that uses the thermopile output to power the valve.

The problem is the valve has a number of wires coming out of it (see photos) and I can't find out which color wire performs which function.

Until I find that out I am unable to attach the thermostat.

I have contacted Dexen who surprisingly replied that they will not give me the info about their product.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.37.31 PM.png Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.37.15 PM.png

I misspoke- it seems this model does not use a thermopile. Anyone know if or how an external thermostat Can be wired into an Intellifire system?

I misspoke- it seems this model does not use a thermopile. Anyone know if or how an external thermostat Can be wired into an Intellifire system?
What is the exact model number of the insert? Any switch or thermostat would be connected to the switch wires on the wiring harness, not directly to the valve.

Finally got it sorted out partly after the helpful suggestion from Lennox65. It turned out my model of Heat N Glo insert comes with one loose brown wire as part of the Intellifire system. I tapped into the red wire from the AA battery holder backup system (for use if electricity system is down) and connected that and the brown wire to a thermostat. Seems to be working just great.