Anyone know what kind of wood this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
Got a bunch of wood off a Craigslist ad . The first pics are from a long standing dead ( now fallen) tree. The second pics are from what that one knocked over on the way down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 216
I thought the first was red elm and the second , color says Osage , growth rings say something else. Thanks for your help

I would guess Locust on both. A bark pic would help nail down the second ID.

Thank y'all for the replies. The wood with no bark is very stringy and almost impossible to split by hand. The wood with the yellow heartwood splits very well. I have apic of the bark also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 110
I'd say Mulberry for the bright yellow one; the one underneath that one almost looks like bark that Hackberry has, kind of warty-looking but I can't see the grain. Don't know what the others are.

It all looks like seasoned wood. I see BL for sure with that tight grain. The hard to split stuff would most likely be mulberry. Hope you got a lot.

The yellow wood looks like mulberry. IME mulberry splits really easy. The wood with the pinkish heartwood looks like honey locust.

Definitive answer..........Red Elm and Mulberry.

Definitely no black locust...... I'll go with nrford, he usually knows what he is talking about....

Im not back to argue here but I have my doubts. Red elm has a huge range, out Michigan/ Indiana and further. Perhaps the trees grow differently and Im not that familiar with Red elm. My impression is it splits like a dream come true and is rather light( after all that water has left it). Your first pics may very well be Red Elm (Ulmus rubra) perhaps an ancient tree. If the wood has longevity and serious rot resistance...perhaps you are right. And...lol...Black Locust is an Eastern species in Natural range. But I have read it has spread all over the globe..in fact some might say "invasive". The thing is Red elm is so- so in the heating arena and Locust is kick ass. So IF this guy can get that wood split and sometime down the road decides to burn it, Then he will know. End of story. ;-)

The wood with the pink heartwood smells like silage( rotten corn stalks).as far as quantity I've been getting pretty lucky with CL and getting a lot of wood. This particular haul will probably take another month to get out altogether. The people have hackberry , white oak and maple they want me to get rid of for them

Used a barrowed splitter to split all that , ended up with 7 Rick out of it . The elm wouldn't hardly split and I gotta rip split some of it as the splitter wouldn't go thru it

Red elm. My impression is it splits like a dream come true and is rather light( after all that water has left it)....Red elm is so- so in the heating
The elm wouldn't hardly split and I gotta rip split some of it as the splitter wouldn't go thru it
That sounds more like the Red Elm I know; Splittable by hand with a lot of effort, if it's straight grain (easier than American Elm.) If not straight, forget it. Power splitter tears it up pretty good, except maybe crotches. Even dry, it has some heft to it, definitely better than soft Maple, and a little better than Cherry. I like splitting it because it's such a pretty wood (nrford used it for trim,) and I like burning it, too. Mulberry is good, if a little sparky...

Reactions: Osagebndr
Just got done ripping some very knotted rounds. Hard to resharpen the chain twice( it's an old junky one) and the 361 didn't like it much either

Status
Not open for further replies.