Anyone order log lengths in CT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Does anyone in CT order log lengths for firewood? If so, what's a pretty good price? Do you know of a good supplier?

I just bought oak that was cut, split, and delivered for $150/cord. My thoughts are 1/3 for each function. Cut, split, deliver.

KorasDad

In the local paper I can get a cord of oak c/s/d for the same price here in western MI but I can get a 10 cord semi of log lengths for 1300. Guess which one I'm not going to buy!?!
to be honest I thought you guys on the east coast were paying a lot more for the good wood. Glad to hear it's not that bad. Unless it got bad here and I didn't notice.

Yup, I actually felt slightly bad for my neighbor - he bought log length, wound up with about 9 cord, and it cost him $1,100. That is ~$122/cord. Then he had to do all the work...

The reason I felt slightly bad was that he could have gotten it C/S/D for $140/cord. I dunno, the amount of cutting, splitting, and work that he put into that 9 cord didn't seem to be worth the extra $18/cord to me...

Then again, I bought 3 cords (just to get a starting buffer) and have scrounged up another 4-5 cord of "free" wood. After all the "free" wood and including my 3 cord buy, my price per cord is a little less than $80/cord, which includes gas to go get the "free" wood, gas/oil for the saw, etc. I like the exercise I get and all that, but I'm not sure I would like it as much if I were paying $120+ per cord for it. And, as I get more and more "free" wood, my price per cord will go down.

Until I have to enter rehab for my case of OWD (as my wife calls it) that is. ;-) ;-)

Yeah, I will definitely factor the amount of work in, If I'm not saving very much then I'll just get c/s/d. Scrounging is tough for me; no truck, no trailer, etc. I have some decent wood in the back of my lot, but the terrain is too rough for any type of cart, so I'll need to be humping rounds a good 1500 feet uphill beore I can load em into the wheelbarrow :gulp:

karri0n said:
Yeah, I will definitely factor the amount of work in, If I'm not saving very much then I'll just get c/s/d. Scrounging is tough for me; no truck, no trailer, etc. I have some decent wood in the back of my lot, but the terrain is too rough for any type of cart, so I'll need to be humping rounds a good 1500 feet uphill beore I can load em into the wheelbarrow :gulp:

cut it in the woods and borrow or rent an atv and drag it out... or use a winch

karri0n said:
If I'm not saving very much then I'll just get c/s/d.
I have some decent wood in the back of my lot, but the terrain is too rough for any type of cart, so I'll need to be humping rounds...
IKWYM

I don't have the option of buying C/S/D so at $100 for a cord of logs dropped in my yard, it still beats beats carrying a cord from out back on my shoulder. Now if I could find a good deal on a used FEL...

dont forget you can negotiate on big loads.... 150 csd x10=1500 but i bet if you ask 125 for ten cords they will prolly take it ... someone will in todays economy...
i have seen a guy on cl selling oak 150 green since march ...... we are headed into june most people would have gone up say 10 a month

I've been watching CL and have actually seen that many of those selling green wood around here have been dropping their prices per cord, C/S/D.

Some haven't, but many have...

newstove said:
I've been watching CL and have actually seen that many of those selling green wood around here have been dropping their prices per cord, C/S/D.

Some haven't, but many have...

over here the prices are pretty steady......but some people are still high for green i feel like asking them where they get their prices from ... not to be mean but there are people trying to get 220 a cord in west mass thats not seasoned and everybody else is 140-180... i dont get it.....
one guy hardwood mix oak, maple , ash220
another guy all oak, red, white 150
which is the better deal or am i missing something??

iceman said:
...or am i missing something??
That's the problem with CL. You don't see the price they are actually getting, just what they're asking. Since it doesn't cost them anything, they see what others are asking and try to get into the higher price market. Those sellers probably already have their existing clientele that they are giving better deals to.

Some play the bait and switch game, listing a low price per cord but then you find out it's only face cords or only certain lengths or only when the moon is blue. Others start with a high price and then offer you a deal if/when you call for details.

I'm selling for 200 a cord for green wood and have no problem getting it . Ive sold 28 cord since march I want to sell 50 this year . In October i will charge 225 .
I have about 14 cord split now and will have the rest done in the next few weeks . 50 cord is a lot of wood . I have not payed for any wood yet but i can buy a 30 yard dumpster full of logs for 250 or 300 bucks. I mite get a load to see how many cord i get . I want to get a faster splitter for next year and my sons will be bigger so we will try for 75 cord . 75 cord is a lot of wood . I think there is easyer ways to make 200 bucks . fire wood is alot of work for the money, it wood not be worth the money if i had to buy the equipment . John

We pay about $150-175 for a seasoned cord cut to length (usually 16") and delivered, then we stack it. While we have plenty of our own, good cord wood really helps stretch out what we've got ready to go, and fits in the stove much nicer. Last year we ran out and had to buy bio bricks - ok but not nearly as good as the hardwood we get. We're in Northern CT, so it's a bit cheaper for us. My dad pays about $200 per cord and he's in West Hartford.

Oops - as for suppliers, it's all local. Ask around, especially at the hardware store, and check out Yankee Flyer and Craigslist, or other free advertising papers. You have to find "a guy" and then you'll see if it's really decently cut, split and seasoned, or if it's not. Once you find "your guy" you're golden. Buy early though.

Just pd. 1500 for a 20 cord log load a a couple weeks ago. The last one was 1300 in Sept. of 2007.
Gee, now all I need to do is get it c/s/s, and I'm good to burn for a few more years. The scrounging will continue, too.
Dave

PapaDave said:
Just pd. 1500 for a 20 cord log load a a couple weeks ago. The last one was 1300 in Sept. of 2007.
Gee, now all I need to do is get it c/s/s, and I'm good to burn for a few more years. The scrounging will continue, too.
Dave

could you please show us some pics????

Well,...........ok.
I and my granddaughter (1 of 3) took a bunch of pics of this load. I just have to resize if you want more.
This is just before Jim started unloading. Front trailer is 26 ft., and the rear pup is 24 ft., both about 7 ft tall. The logs are about 8.5 ft. long. I came up with over 20 cords, and we'll see once it's all done.
Sorry about the hijack, but iceman axed for it! :coolsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_3144resize.JPG
    IMG_3144resize.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 403
Wow! That's a lot of wheels on that truck.

PapaDave said:
Well,...........ok.
I and my granddaughter (1 of 3) took a bunch of pics of this load. I just have to resize if you want more.
This is just before Jim started unloading. Front trailer is 26 ft., and the rear pup is 24 ft., both about 7 ft tall. The logs are about 8.5 ft. long. I came up with over 20 cords, and we'll see once it's all done.
Sorry about the hijack, but iceman axed for it! :coolsmile:

omg!!!
thats what i am talking about!!

I just got a quote from a logging guy in Lebanon CT for $750 for a triaxle load. Says its 7+ cords. He has a job coming up in the next few weeks and can deliver then.

Any body got anything better?

Greg H

Here in East Berne, I was paying 650 dollars for triaxle log truck load,plus a pup trailer, for the past 2 years. All good hard wood, average diameter around 8-10 inches. A couple of 24 inchers, but I could deal with that. Last year , a quarter of the load was shagbark.This year it went up to 850 dollars. They come out to 10 cord loads once stacked. Had to order my wood 6 months ahead. The logger told me he had over 120 truckloads already spoken for. Beats hauling wood from my woodlot. I'll save that wood for when the price of logs gets out of hand. Nice people to deal with. They've always came when they said the would.

I'm starting to get quotes in from several different guys in SE CT. Most are $150 cord c/s/d. One guys has green c/s/d for $125 and rounds for $100/cord.

I haven't seen any of this wood yet but I'm getting a load from each. I'll let you know how they work out, and post phone numbers.

Greg H said:
I just got a quote from a logging guy in Lebanon CT for $750 for a triaxle load. Says its 7+ cords. He has a job coming up in the next few weeks and can deliver then.

Any body got anything better?

Greg H

Greg, was the owner of the company named Scott? If so, I purchased a load of wood from him for the same price several weeks ago. I also live in Eastern CT. He was great to deal with and the size and quality of the wood load was good. My next door neighbor had a delivery from another vendor for 800, he also feels he got a good deal. I'd say order it up and get ready to cut and split!

It might have been Scott, I'll have to look at my notes. Do you figure you got a full 7 cords?
I've got at least one vendor who says he'll give me cut unsplit (rounds) for $100/cord. Thats about the same price as log length without the wear and tear on the saw (or me).

Status
Not open for further replies.