appliance adapter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

apixaban

Jan 22, 2022
NY, USA
I've been doing a lot of searching, youtube videos, checking out Q&As on homedepot.com, etc, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question regarding pellet stove appliance adapters. I have a comfortbilt hp22n pellet stove w/ supposedly 3in exhaust. I picked up a duravent pellet stove 3" vent kit, which came with an appliance adapter. The adapter's INSIDE layer slides right over the exhaust pipe coming from my stove. Is this intended? It's even a slightly loose fit. It would definitely leak w/o silicone sealant.

From looking at the appliance adapter, it has a rope seal between the 2 layers. This seems entirely superfluous on my setup as the stove exhaust goes inside the inner pipe and could NEVER fit inbetween the layers. I was confused about this because the appliance adapter doesn't seem to make a lot of sense since any other stove pipe would slide right over the exhaust as well. Some of the normal twist/lock pipes actually achieve a significantly tighter fit around the exhaust pipe as well.

So basically, should the stove exhaust pipe fit between the layers and snug against the rope? There's absolutely no way mine will do this without crimping the hell out of the inner pipe of the appliance adapter.

I am attaching a picture of the adapter/exhaust. The shiny inner steel portion slides right on over the rest of the exhaust pipe with no significant resistance.

applianceadapter.jpg

I just bought the same stove and was thinking about this same question. Also have a duravent appliance adpater - mine also converts to 4". I believe the manual species using RTV high temp silicone at that joint. I was wondering is that all? no screws etc?

No screws ATV will hold it tight
You will never have to remove
and if you do it will destroy
the adaptor
speaking form experience

Reactions: Washed-Up
Duravent makes lots of different appliance adapters. I would double check part numbers and make sure it's right. After a bad "professional" install, I found out Harman needs a special appliance adapter.

I have two different appliance adapters sitting on my shelf that won't work with my stove. One has a built in pipe clamp and a rubber seal, and the other is just a simple double wall with no rope or seal in it. I'm not sure what stoves they fit, but I'm sure they fit something somewhere.

Red High temp.