Aquastat Temperature Differential Setting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
What temperature differential setting would you recommend for the Honeywell 4006A aquastat that turns on and off the circs to reheat a 40 gallon DHW tank via a flat plate hx. The differenential setting adjusts from 5-30 degrees. There will be a tempering valve on the tank to prevent anyone getting scalded if that's a factor.

Not sure at what tank temp setpoint to have it kick the circs on either. The aquastat will be located close to the tank as possible in the pipe which will be emanating from where the drain fitting is currently. That pipe is to go to the DHW side of the flat plate. It is a standard A.O. Smith propane-fired 40 gallon DHW tank. I'll be shuting the propane off unless I can figure a way to have it assume a backup status only. Don't want it firing at the same time the flat plate is doing its thing.

Mike

Personally I would start at 5 on the differential and like about 125 on the setting , and then adjust from there till you are happy .

Status
Not open for further replies.