Arctic vortex prob about done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have a massive pair of sun dogs up here today, technically parhelian. Good pics on wikipedia, they are difficult to photograph.

Up here sundogs are a dependable indicator that is clearing off and about to get cold. One sun dog is indicator enough. Two (both) like i have today is indicator to fill up the ready rack in the garage with all the cord wood that will fit.

Also, todays are wide enough to display color banding, an ice bow instead of a rain bow.

I'll guess Ill be back to normal temps (alas) in a day or two, but you should too.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
The low angle of the sun creates some nice displays. Here are a couple shots of sundogs from the interwebs.

546134b7b0a12.image.jpg Bernard-Marschner-Sun-Dogs_2I1A4698_1391980269_lg.jpg

Reactions: WayneN
Status
Not open for further replies.