Q&A Are all gas logs created equal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Are all gas logs created equal? I am thinking of converting my masonry fireplace to gas using vented logs. I understand that these logs are not that efficient and are more decorative then functional. My first question is do they give off any heat at all? We currently build a fire leave the doors open for better viewing and we get some heat. Would the gas logs radiate about like that or less?

Which leads to my second question, does it make a difference if the logs are kiln fired ceramic, ceramic refractory, or refractory cement? I am confused and would like the log that would radiate the most heat into the room.

Answer:

You may get a small amount of heat into the room, but don't count on it. The embers of a wood fire are much hotter than a gas fire, so the radiant heat may not feel the same.

The type of log construction should not make any difference.

Maybe a "semi" vented log like the Monesson "Smartfire" , which provides some heat and is also vented might suit you. See if you can find a dealer for this or a similar brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.