Q&A Are horizontal supports needed for stainless steel liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm in the process of installing a flexible 6" stainless steel chimney liner in my fireplace flue to be used for my wood stove. The flue tile is 11"x16" (big 2-sided fireplace!). Does anyone know if I need to install some kind of horizontal supports to keep the liner from touching the clay flue tiles? I'm adding the manufacturer's (Z-Flex) insulation blanket around the liner also. If so, any recommendations on what to use? Thanks, Tom.

Answer:

Tom, it's ok for an insulated stainless liner to touch the flue tiles. However, the straighter you can make the run of pipe, the better the draft. In a chimney as large as yours it would also be good to stuff some unfaced (no paper!) fiberglass insulation at the top of the chimney and around the liner in the smoke chamber. This will help create a warm air pocket in the chimney to help induce better draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.