Are there any regulations a company must follow when putting in pellet stoves---how about a license?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Licensing requirements are often a county by county or even municipality level. As for regulations look at International Mechanical Code, NFPA211 but really what it boils down to is they HAVE to follow the manufacturers installation instructions EXACTLY.

I believe there is a wide range of capabilities of Pellet stove installers hence your frustration. Some may be only experienced with traditional heating or tradesmen with little or no stove experience. As with building a house, remodeling or service repairs work one needs to check their performance and reputation. Often the best way is through friends, relatives or coworkers who have had good experiences. Having said that I believe with a pellet stove it is wise for a homeowner do some homework to make sure the installer (as good as his references may be) is not taking short cuts (typical-“don’t need OAK”). Online owner’s manuals include installation requirements, download and compare installer’s recommendations with specific stove requirements (flue requirements etc.).

Here in MA you need a solid fuel contactors supervisors lisence if installling for anyone but yourself. I would recommend checking with your local building inspector. He or she may even be able to recommend someone to you.

Thanks for the replys.

Shane, Thats interesting--Maine Energy in Bangor, Maine put it in - Found out after it was the first pellet insert they had ever done. They certainly did NOT follow the directions---They used PVC when it said specifically NOT to use PVC, it said only vent so many feet & they doubled the length ---

They worked for 8 hrs & then had to come back again---and again & again & again!!!!

Every evening my husband has to clean off the glass door--it is covered with black soot! IS THIS NORMAL?

I had them put it in for safety reasons--they were the experts-----I would not recommend them to anyone!

Did you contact the Maine Oil & Solid Fuel Board ? they are the ones who do the regulating for these guys.

Also, try to post a photo of your setup....don't have a pellet stove, but many here do and can help. (You might have to resize the photo to post, but the directions are also at the main page)

Is Maine Energy the company owned by Les Otten that is selling bulk pellets and pellet boilers??

I would hope they only used pvc pipe for the fresh air intake. If they vented the exhaust with it I would stop burning it. I sounds like you may need to have the installation checked over by someone else, or yourself as it sounds like your are a step ahead of them. At least you read the install manual which is more than they did. This is what needs to be adheared to. These units are lab tested and what is printed in the manual reflects the results of those test. Good Luck with it.

Contact the makers of your stove and tell them your stove is not installed properly and get them to send another technician to fix your stove. Most stove companies require that a trained tech put in the stove for the stove to be covered by warranty. If your installer is not a trained tech, then go to the attorney general's office and initiate a fraud compliant against the dealer.

Stevekng said:
Contact the makers of your stove and tell them your stove is not installed properly and get them to send another technician to fix your stove. Most stove companies require that a trained tech put in the stove for the stove to be covered by warranty. If your installer is not a trained tech, then go to the attorney general's office and initiate a fraud compliant against the dealer.

I agree with Firefly Hearth above......before you tell them its wrong, call the AG office, etc, make darn sure youre right, because if youre not, youre gonna look like an idiot.....bring someone else in, for a minor fee, and have them check the installation.

MainePellethead said:
Is Maine Energy the company owned by Les Otten that is selling bulk pellets and pellet boilers??

No it isn't Les Otten's company. Maine Energy Inc. was started in 1926 and first provided coal delivery services. I purchased more than a couple of ton from them many years ago.

Their website doesn't mention Pellet stoves from what I've looked at but that shouldn't make any difference, as they have a large licensed staff and do a lot of work. If they screwed it up they should fix it on their nickel. A call to your fire department for an inspection of their install, followed by the fire department talking to Maine Energy if there is in fact a problem with the install would do the job.

MainePellethead said:

I believe that Les Ottens company is MESYS. and according to there web site Maine Energy is not one of there contractors.

bill

MaineIceQueen said:
Thanks for the replys.

Shane, Thats interesting--Maine Energy in Bangor, Maine put it in - Found out after it was the first pellet insert they had ever done. They certainly did NOT follow the directions---They used PVC when it said specifically NOT to use PVC, it said only vent so many feet & they doubled the length ---

They worked for 8 hrs & then had to come back again---and again & again & again!!!!

Every evening my husband has to clean off the glass door--it is covered with black soot! IS THIS NORMAL?

I had them put it in for safety reasons--they were the experts-----I would not recommend them to anyone!

Black soot means you need more intake air OR your stove is plugged with ash. If you've been burning without sufficient combustion air your stove may very well be plugged up...

She mentioned in another post that the door was not sealing properly, that is likely the cause of the sooting. Sounds to me like your best bet is to contact local code enforcement and possibly another reputable installer to look at it. Cite to the code enforcement folks from the manual where the installers went wrong. I would speculate they'll make the guy fix it, or if your confidence is undermined to the point you don't trust them you may be able to make them pay another install company to correct their installation.

Thank you all for your info & advice!

We have asked Maine Energy to take the stove out. We have too many safety concerns--especially with three children (& pets).

Here is a list of exactly what they have done wrong - they have been to our house almost a dozen times since the installation at the end of September.

1. Installation book said outside air vent was not to be more than 15'-ours was 25'
2. Installation book said NO PVC was to be used. They used PVC
3. " " said outside exaust pipe over 15' needs a 4" pipe--ours was 25' & they used a 3" pipe--when the tech
came over & when he took it off, it was completely filled & blocked with soot.
4. The bowl hole they drilled for the igniter wasnt the correct size--they had to come back & make it bigger.
5. Heater switch broke
6. Dial for fan broke
7. Blower replaced - the replaced one kept hitting on a screw & making loud noise - they came back & replaced it again
8. Front door was replaced because it had an air leak.
9. The glass door turns completely black shortley after being run

Ours was the first pellet insert they had ever put in. It took them 8 hrs & then they still had to come back. I thinkn we were the guine pigs!

I do estimates for our moving company & whenever I see a pellet stove I ask how they like it---everyone seems to love it!
Once it is pulled out (not sure how easily they will agree to this but...) we are going to look into a Harmon. Any suggestions are more than welcome. We have a 3000 sq ft home - tri-level. We have 3 zoned oil & a ventless propane stove in the upstairs living room & the pellet stove was in the downstairs living room---where our fireplace was - just the kind for looks & not heat.

Agian, thank you all for your great info & advice!!

The 15' that is talked about is what is called effective vertical length and not an actual measured by the tape measure 15'

90 degree elbow = 5.0 EVL
45 degree elbow = 3.0 EVL
1 foot vertical = 0.5 EVL
1 foot horizontal = 1.0 EVL

So a single 90 degree and 20 feet of pipe is 15 EVL . If they took the vent all the way to the top they should have at least transitioned a portion of it to 4". Failure to do so also contributes to excessive ash build up.

I can't imagine them using PVC, code considers the air intake to be part of the exhaust system since it is possible for it to actually be an exhaust under certain failure conditions.

What you have in the list above that strikes me as being a bit odd is that they had to drill a hole for an igniter. I've heard of burn pot retrofits that require resizing of holes, usually born pots come with all holes predrilled, but then I haven't any information on your particular unit.

Let us know how things turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.