Are these all moldy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aaarneson

Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, AZ & Dolores, CO
Curious if this is mold? And can I burn or not burn? It does seemed dry.

Resizer_16652570559365.jpeg Resizer_16652570671183.jpeg Resizer_16652570679169.jpeg Resizer_16652570677017.jpeg Resizer_16652570669271.jpeg

Yes that's mold. But that's not a problem.

Given that it's not split, I would see if you can measure the moisture content in the center of a newly split piece. Your climate likely is good for drying, but wood generally does not dry well when not split.

Just don't store it in the home, bring it in and directly put it in the stove.

Mold appears when it's still wet, but you can still see it when it is dry. No problem.

If the wood is dry enough as measured on a room temperature freshly split surface, the mold is not an issue for burning.

I am not knowledgeable about whether spores can still spread into your home. If you are concerned about that, I would not store it inside, but move it from outside directly into the stove.

Get a $30 general tools mmd4e moisture meter. Or any similar one.

Get a split, bring it inside, let it get up to room temperature for 24 hrs, split it in half, stick the pins into the freshly exposed surface (parallel to the grain), and read out.

Anything else (the sound they make when banged together, their weight) requires expertise of that wood in a modern EPA stove (or calibration with a moisture meter).

Reactions: aaarneson
Below 25 percent is fair. Best to aim for below 20 pct.

No, a split is e.g. a quarter log. I.e. it has been split and has been drying like that.

And then (after getting it to room temp), you split it again to measure on the inside.

But if you don't have any wood that's split already, then take a round inside, get it up to temp, split that, and measure on the inside.

Most people have splits, because that way (no bark) wood dries way faster/better.

Nice.

I would cut and split (before bucking more), because only after splitting does any meaningful drying start.

Reactions: aaarneson
That is fine, as long as you don't count on them drying much while they sit unsplit.

They'll dry some, but not nearly enough in the time split wood gets dry enough for burning.