Are These Draft Cap Bolts/Screws Rare?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
These are on my mama bear. The stove number is PA84. I've never seen this type of bolt or screw on any other draft caps.

IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG

Should be a standard US Thread size & pitch.
Slotted Countersunk head screws are not too common anymore...
The reason may be that they are not easy to drive since
screwguns became more common. Philips head, hex head
& torx head screws are more the norm.

Reactions: Todd67
Someone replaced the originals.
They were 1/2 -13 hex head bolts, 3 inches long with threads to the head with no head markings. Bolts with head markings are hardened.
For collector purposes, originals are best and hard to find. You can make them from any bolt by grinding, filing and sanding the marks off the head.
The nut under the cap was a "half nut", but a full nut works and was used if they ran out. Some fabricators used full nuts.

Draft Cap Bolts.JPG New old stock air damper bolts.

Reactions: Todd67
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling they weren't original. They're all cleaned up now and work great, so I'm leaving them alone.