Arrow stove mystery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mickri

Jan 2, 2022
California
I have a small Arrow model 1800. The door is pretty small as is the firebox. Just inside the door there is a steel tab that hangs down about 2 inches. I have no idea what it is for and am thinking about removing it. It sometimes gets in the way when putting wood in the stove.

IMG_20240305_162133.jpg

Where is the baffle? Did it attach in the front to this tab?

There was not a baffle inside the stove when I purchase my house 2 years ago. Should there be a baffle? What does it look like?

Sure looks like it had a baffle originally. Often it is just a flat plate of heavy steel but this varies. Without the baffle the stove is sending a lot of heat up the flue. The baffle slows down the smoke causing it to burn more thoroughly.

Wonder if I can make a baffle. Have to look at the steel I have in the scrap pile. I'll look to see if I can find the dimensions online.

I have that manual. I think that it is for a newer stove. It references 2 tabs for a baffle to fit into. My stove does not have that. I found pictures online last night and metric dimensions that convert to 9"x13". I found a fairly heavy 13" square steel plate in my metal scrap pile. I will measure my stove to see if I can make a baffle. Thanks for the info.

I have that manual. I think that it is for a newer stove. It references 2 tabs for a baffle to fit into. My stove does not have that. I found pictures online last night and metric dimensions that convert to 9"x13". I found a fairly heavy 13" square steel plate in my metal scrap pile. I will measure my stove to see if I can make a baffle. Thanks for the info.
Fashion a piece of cardboard to check for fitment and then use it as a template.

Fired up the stove this evening to see what effect the baffle would have. It was harder to get the stove to draw properly and get the wood burning. But once I got it going the stove is putting out a lot more heat. All in all the baffle is an improvement in the performance of the stove.

Reactions: begreen
Good progress!

It was harder to get the stove to draw properly and get the wood burning.
The draft strength will be affected by many factors, like the flue setup, outside temps, flue damper, etc.