Ash and keeping the house clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Just curious what you guys do when your unloading ash out of the stove to keep the black dust from flying around in the room when you dump it in the ash bucket?

I keep the ash bucket as close to the opening of the stove and shovel the ash very gently. I do not dump the ash into the bucket but rather place it onto the angle part of the ash bucket. I have a cheap bucket similar to this

EDIT:

I should add that I use the ash bucket to carry the ashes outside to a galvanized trash can with a tight fitting lid. This sits on pavers a good distance from the house. I let the ashes and coals sit for a month before I empty the galvanized trash by sifting the ashes onto my yard.

Last edited:
I use a small galvanized trash can with lid. Like Das jugghead I keep it as close to the stove as possible while shoveling ash and go slowly to prevent ash flying. Most of the ash I try to push down into ash pan. I bring the ash pan outside to pour in the trash can. I vacuum entire area and stove afterward.

Reactions: JimBear
I put the hose of my ash vac in the bucket, near the top and turn it on. Just kinda hang it over the rim Of the bucket. That way any ash that puffs up when u scoop it in flies right into the ash vac hose. Works like a charm.

Reactions: Espartaco
I keep the ash bucket as close to the opening of the stove and shovel the ash very gently. I do not dump the ash into the bucket but rather place it onto the angle part of the ash bucket. I have a cheap bucket similar to this

EDIT:

I should add that I use the ash bucket to carry the ashes outside to a galvanized trash can with a tight fitting lid. This sits on pavers a good distance from the house. I let the ashes and coals sit for a month before I empty the galvanized trash by sifting the ashes onto my yard.
I do the same. However I take it one step further. Once the can gets about half full, I fill the other half with water and let it sit about a day or two. Then it gets dumped out. This is a lesson I learned the hard way after a fire and insurance claim.

Reactions: Espartaco
I do the same. I like to do it when the chimney is still warm. It helps it draft the fly ash up and out a lot better.

Reactions: JimBear
My stove has a removable ash pan with a lid. I bought a second one so I can do a "hot swap" , put the lid on and take it outside to dump it in my ashcan in the driveway. Zero dust or embers inside the house.

I do mostly the same stuff as discussed but I think it's worth noting that no matter what you do you're still gonna have ash escape and it'll be a little dusty. Burning wood is messy....we just do the best we can to keep it neat.

My dogs favorite time is cleanout time. I do so good until I inevitably hit him with my elbow and dump a pile of ash all over.

Reactions: baseroom