Ash Bed Air Control Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PistolPeets

Jan 1, 2019
Upstate New York
Good evening all. I've burned through my first face cord of wood at this time and I've recently discovered something. The amount of ash in the bottom of my stove really has an affect on the amount of air that gets into the box. If I clean it out and get down to <1" or so, I get a ton of air with the air control lever fully closed! If i burn a few days and get around 3"-4" of ash bed built up, I get a lot less air when the air control lever is fully closed - and I can even put the fire right out sometimes, which is bad... and has created a backpuff boom! Not major, just enough to make you pay attention! Right now, I've got about 2" of ash bed, and when the control lever is fully closed, I get some good secondaries and good burn times as well as higher temps.

Has anyone else found that there's a magic amount of ash bed that yields the best burn?

Sounds like the ash may be blocking off the boost air. Clear out the ash from in front of the boost manifold at the bottom front edge of the firebox.

Reactions: PistolPeets
With the thick bed of ash,could the wood be sinking into it and insulating a good bit of it from the airflow? The air is possibly going over it and up the flue. 4" of ash sounds like a lot of ash to me. Try raking a trough through the middle before loading for the air to run down or maybe load N/S if possible. I thought a lot of ash would clog the dogbox but others tell me it doesnt affect it at all. Only things I can think of.

I've cleared the front most part of the firebox. I guess I wasn't entirely sure where the air entered and just assumed it came in from the bottom center. Seems to be more consistent to control now.

Good deal. Next time when doing a full cleaning, lift off the boost manifold cover and vacuum ash out of the ports located under it.