Ash build up and secondary combustion!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
I have noticed that when my stove fills up with to much ash it stops performing.

Myself and two other wood burning friends have been debating that when the ash builds up and the burning logs are to close to the secondary air tubes the smokes does not have enough space and temperature to ignite properly.

Anyone else experience this?

My stove performs the best right after its been completely cleaned out.

Thank you,Hiram :)

I think that 'too much' ash may cause some interference with the way the stove operates to an extent. I would think that if it was causing some issues with the way you are burning that the stove top temps would be the first indicator - if it was not just apparent to you as the operator.

I think mine operates best with a nice bed of ash in it - not too much however. I have been scooping some ash every two days or so to keep it at an acceptable level. Just a few scoops here and there in the AM.

So far I wold say my Oslo likes a nice bed of ashes. It seem to burn hotter, longer ect than when it is clean. I don't empty everything completly , I leav a small layer in the bottom of the ash pan as well as some in the fire box .
Hank

Well ash is different than coals...so yeah I'm inclined to believer you can have too much ash. You want some though.

Hello Hiram. With the way your are cleaning out your stove it doesn't seem that you would have a problem with this. But yes, too many ashes will make a difference in how the stove performs.

I theorize that the ashes act as insulation preventing heat transfer and also block airflow to the coal base.

Agreed on too much ash issue. Also, too much ash allows for less wood in the stove. Too little ash shortens the amount of coals you have by morning after a long overnight burn. I find that a fresh cleanout of ash gives me very few coals for reloading 8 hours later (enough, but not many). A full ashbed will give me coals 10+ hours later without a problem.

No doubt, the air flow across the bottom of the stove is affected with a larger ash pile. That will also affect the amount of air passing through the bottom of the fire to produce a hotter fire.

JMO.

My Endeavor seems to perform best with about a 1/2" (or just under) layer of ash. It definitely holds a coal bed much longer with a layer of ash.

I like 1/2-1" of ash in my stove. It does help the coal bed out and hold a fire longer. As far as secondary tubes, in my previous non cats I remember reading in stove manuals to keep an air space between the load of wood and tubes, but if you fill it to the top the wood seems to sink down a couple inches anyways when the left over moisture is driven out and coals underneath burn up, so I just filled it to the top and didn't worry about it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hello Hiram. With the way your are cleaning out your stove it doesn't seem that you would have a problem with this. But yes, too many ashes will make a difference in how the stove performs.

Dennis,

Lets just say I didn't keep to my once a week cleaning regiment :red:

The ash was about 6" deep!!!

And wasn't producing the heat that I have been used to what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.