Ash for fill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I've got this sink hole in the front yard that I need to fill in. I also have this pile of ash from the last 7 heating seasons in the back yard. Coinidence?

Can I use the ash to fill the lower part of the sinkhole before topping it off with topsoil? This will get rid of the unsightly pile in the back and keep me from having to bring in a half a truck of fill.

Yes, dump the ash in then water it down and you will have a lot less ash than you thought. Otherwise, you'll be filling in a depression for the next few years.

Nothing may grow or live there for a while. Course there's probably nothing growing or living in it now in a pile. If you have no place to spread it out for it's valuable mineral nutrients, bury it.
Tomatoes are supposed to like the calcium in it.

You could always use wood ash lye to make a generous supply of lutefisk. ==c:confused:==c

Last edited:
Nothing may grow or live there for a while. Course there's probably nothing growing or living in it now in a pile. If you have no place to spread it out for it's valuable mineral nutrients, bury it.
Tomatoes are supposed to like the calcium in it.

You could always use wood ash lye to make a generous supply of lutefisk. ==c:confused:==c

Agree- except that the tomato use is a bit overblown in most cases. Blossom end rot is the result of a calcium issue- but the root cause (pun) is uneven watering cycles. Mulch well, keep moist but not drowned, and calcium is rarely an issue.
latest

Agree- except that the tomato use is a bit overblown in most cases. Blossom end rot is the result of a calcium issue- but the root cause (pun) is uneven watering cycles. Mulch well, keep moist but not drowned, and calcium is rarely an issue.
latest

Yeah usually if/when I have blossom end rot it has been from too many drenching thunderstorms in a row. Cracked tomatoes too.
I haven't had black end tomatoes since I went with drip irrigate rather than feed the mosquitoes while I hold one end of the hose and try to soak them after work in the dark by flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.