Ash pan surprises?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
I know most of you that process your own wood are allways carefull to check and look for nails and such while chainsawing, But, yesterday I found a 2" wood screw in the ashpan while emptying it out. Screw head had a bit of metal on it about the size of a quarter. Must have been a sign posted on the tree. I don't recall seeing anything (metal) on the splits recently. Anyway. What treasures have you found while processing wood & or cleaning stove.

ha....funny little story

was helping the neighbor(65 year old guy) saw wood this summer with his 33 year old son and we cut down an old oak. i was in the process of bucking a peice when all of a sudden it was like cutting throgh butter....i had found a hollow. well inside this hollow was an almost pristeen playboy, scope can, and a faded cigar box. we had found the 33 year old's childhood stash. i can tell you that was easily the funniest and most ackward wood cutting moment iv ever had.

never knew chainsawing in real life would go pg-13....only in the movies

im kinda chuckly over remembering this, ccb

yetty734 said:
ha....funny little story

was helping the neighbor(65 year old guy) saw wood this summer with his 33 year old son and we cut down an old oak. i was in the process of bucking a peice when all of a sudden it was like cutting throgh butter....i had found a hollow. well inside this hollow was an almost pristeen playboy, scope can, and a faded cigar box. we had found the 33 year old's childhood stash. i can tell you that was easily the funniest and most ackward wood cutting moment iv ever had.

never knew chainsawing in real life would go pg-13....only in the movies

im kinda chuckly over remembering this, ccb

Wow ,way cool story. Does he still smoke cigars?

It didn't make it to the ashpan, but helping a friend clean up a lot in Providence, RI I cut into an alternator that an old maple had grown around. I've vowed never to scrounge city wood again :)

Never cut it but while cutting up a 36" diameter pecan tree I found about a full bag worth of concrete in the main "Y" of the tree. I was lucky that I looked it over from both sides or I would have tried to saw right through the concrete.

Any time you cut a tree that is along side a road or in a fence line, you are liable to find lots of hardware. That is why the sawmills do not want the logs from these trees.

One time I did find an old crosscut saw! It was still in the tree. Looks like someone cut into it and just gave out.

I've never found anything too exotic, just a few nails and some wire. We do have some deer stands on the property I hunt that are prety well grown into their trees. I sure would hate to come across a chunk of that angle iron or pipe while cutting.

hanging on a tack on my wall at work above my desk is a set of keys(well whats left of em) i was cleaning out my pellet stove after a nights run and looked in the burn pot , there they sat. i took them to work and keep them there for referrence (a reminder) looked through my rolodex and called the company that made the pellets (not divulging brand) and asked them if they had any bolt cutters, the suprised voice on the other end of the line asked " sure , but why do you ask?" i responded that they would probably need them eventually as i have somebody's keys.

actually they did no harm at all but had they been in the right stove in the right situation , they could have possibly messed somthing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.