Q&A Ash Pit door in fireplace--is it safe?.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: ash pit trap door. Is it really safe to keep these functioning? I am afraid that a live ash could fall to the opening in the basement and cause a fire:? As a result I just let the fire die and then clean the fireplace from the front. Which is best and safer?

Answer:

I've never heard of a fire problem- since the ashes fall into a pit which is usually surrounded by the cinder block or cement foundation of the home.It would be prudent- however- to let the fire die out for a number of hours or a day or two before sweeping them down the ash pit.Probably more dangerous to sweep them out the front- as I've seen embers stay hot for days and ignite trash fires- etc

Status
Not open for further replies.