Ash plug on Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
My Princess seems to be working fine. But I see a lot more flame in the box while turned down and the cat does not glow same as before.

Would it be possible that I have dislodged the bloody (hate it😝) ash plug in error and now I am letting outside air in?

Pretty easy to lift it out and set it back in. I have mine out at least once per week for sweeping ashes into the pan, as some of the woods I burn generate a ton of ash.

My Princess seems to be working fine. But I see a lot more flame in the box while turned down and the cat does not glow same as before.

Would it be possible that I have dislodged the bloody (hate it😝) ash plug in error and now I am letting outside air in?

As your cat dies it makes less heat so the intake opens farther to get the stove to setpoint. Is your cat getting old?

The cat is original. Fall 2018 install. But the stove is only used part time, mainly weekends. I maybe…..maybe put 1/2 cord through it in the season. I might just order a new one. I will try guesstimating the hours, i certainly dont believe I am near 12000hrs

The cat is original. Fall 2018 install. But the stove is only used part time, mainly weekends. I maybe…..maybe put 1/2 cord through it in the season. I might just order a new one. I will try guesstimating the hours, i certainly dont believe I am near 12000hrs
Seems quite “young” then.

Is wood quality high? If it’s wet then it will require more air to make enough heat to hit setpoint.

Wood is fine. The stuff I am burning has been ssc under tin roof for 4 maybe 5 years.

This year the stove is definitely burning different.

Reactions: Highbeam
I agree the above-historic flame level would indicate air intrusion. Cat plug could be it, but that takes all of 30 seconds to check. Think door or window gasket could be leaking?

Had to go back to the city. The door gasket passes the $ test. The window gasket is good I think. No wiggle when trying with both hands one on each side of the glass. Will look at the plug next time I am there. The cat does not look plugged.

First case of a rust hole in a Princess? Where is Highbeam? 😀

Sorry, just stirring the pot.

😫😫😫not funny!😉

First case of a rust hole in a Princess? Where is Highbeam? 😀

Sorry, just stirring the pot.
Oh gosh, I'm trying to lay low. Thanks for the laugh.

Will not get a chance to burn again until Dec 22. Will clean the firebox, check the plug and run a soft brush on the cat (it does not look clogged). Will report.

Check spark arrestor screen if you have one, only because you seem to be expecting a clogged cat. To me it sounded like your description of the symptom sounded more like air leaking in, not clogged exhaust, but I'm not there to see it like you.

Reactions: Diabel