Ash Removal Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
Ok, so even though I grew up with a woodstove... consider me new to this 'sport'. I don't even have my insert installed yet. But I have a question... the manuals all say "Remove cold ashes only."

How often do you all remove ashes?
Do you really let your fire die out, coals finish burning, and ashes to cool before cleaning ashes out?
I saw a "coal keeper" shovel that would allow to you to pluck your coals out, put them aside in the firebox, and then proceed to clean the ashes only out. Anyone use anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

My last stove didn't have an ashpan, so my ash pile would get fairly thick by the end of the week. I'd push any hot coals to one side and scoop out ash into a metal bucket, which went outside onto a concrete pad with a cover to keep rain out.
I'd clean out the stove on Sat or Sun and then dump the ash barrel on Thursday or Friday so it would be ready for Sat or Sunday again.

(I had a rather large ash bucket so some of the Thurs/Fri dumpings didn't happen).
:)

Oh, there are simple rakes that can be used to separate coals from ashes, and there are ash cans with double steel bottoms that can safely receive hot stuff (leave it outside well away from combustibles to cool for a couple of days). Also depends on how much you burn, what kind of wood you burn, and a host of other things. I like to keep a layer of ash in my stoves, maybe an inch or so. I burn softwood, so I'm typically not "burdened" with a stove full of red-hot coals in the morning. I probably clean out ashes about once a week or so during the height (depth?) of the season, perhaps more often on occasion. Frequently some glowing coals go into the bucket with the ashes. Get yourself a bucket with a lid, because that really fine ash goes airborne as soon as you begin to disturb it. You'll figger it out. Rick

I shovel mine in to a coal hod then I go dump it in my burning barrel then I throw my trash away, if every thing went right I shovel just enough hot coals that the garbage would light with out me having to mess with a lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.