ash removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
I tried to do a search but was unable to retrieve the info I needed. I have a small wood insert stiker C160. Is there any method for ash removal that isnt so messy. Ive tried to be careful however there is ash and dust everywhere. Ill suck it up if there arent any alternatives. I must say im enjoying my this site

rad said:
I tried to do a search but was unable to retrieve the info I needed. I have a small wood insert stiker C160. Is there any method for ash removal that isnt so messy. Ive tried to be careful however there is ash and dust everywhere. Ill suck it up if there arent any alternatives. I must say im enjoying my this site

I have the Country Striker S160 (with no ash drawer). It's hard to remove ash without some dust and ash, but I found if I hold the lid to my ash can upside down under the shovel as I bring the ash out of the stove --- and move S-L-O-W-L-Y, I make very little mess. I do keep a small (car size) dustpan and brush handy so that I can sweep up immediately.

I've been using the Ashtrap (more info available elsewhere on this site) for the first time this year and find it very useful in reducing the mess from ash. I use an 8" wide putty knife to scrape ash into the Ashtrap while it is still in the stove, and close the Ashtrap cover before taking it out. Making sure the damper is open also helps keep ash within the stove. Shopvac (the actual brand, not the generic term) makes bags for sheetrock dust and fine ash for cleanup, but be really careful that the ash is completely cold.

I use a fireplace tray available from http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/id/100626.do. The tray goes into the fireplace, the grate goes into the tray, and then you burn. When it is time to clean out, the ashes sitting on the grate get knocked into the tray, the grate is moved into a big cardboard tray with sides (lined with foil backed duct insulation to prevent fire, then the tray is put on the grate. Use a wide putty knife to move ash that was outside the tray on the floor of the fireplace into the tray. Take the whole stack outside and empty the tray. Use an ash vacuum to clean out the little bit of ash left in the fireplace. Put the tray back in followed by the grate. Now use the ash vacuum to clean out the cardboard tray and put it away. Now build your fire. The tray you get may be too big for your insert so you have to modify it with metal shears and bending and sheet metal screws. You can buy a second tray so that early in the morning you can just switch trays and later in the day dump the ashes on your lawn. For maybe $100 you can get a stainless steel tray which might last a long time and can be custom built to your exact size, extra cost unknown. I have the Improvements Catalog tray and it tends to get brittle and crack after about four cords of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.