Ash removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flame Monger

Oct 28, 2020
Fostoria Ohio
I have a buck model 74. As some of you know it does not have an ash pan. What is the best method for removing ash without removing hot coals. Do I have to go through the process of letting it go nearly ou tso most of the coals are reduced to ash? Or, is there a better way to do it while still maintaining a relatively hot coal base?

I like my coal sifter shovel. There's a recent thread with a home made one that's better than the one I bought.

I tried drilling holes in the bottom of a shovel and using it as a sifter but it didn't work as well as I hoped.
More of a wire mesh design. Slide everything to one side and only scoop 1/2 full and shake it. Ash in front, coals to the back.

Attachments

• Ash removal
    16081451450526794384794032702358.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Wow
Reactions: AntRhonda/CA
Ash removal sucks, tried everything from slotted shovels to ash vacs. Gave up, bought a PH with ash pan and never looked back. Best money ever spent, makes ash removal a breeze, couple passes with the rake, ash falls through grate into pan, empty pan twice a week, done

I have the same stove. I wouldn't get too carried away with keeping all the ashes out. I personally like about a one inch layer left in mine all winter to keep coals while I'm away at work for a relight when I get home. Just shove coals to the back, scoop your ashes out and pull the coals back forward for your relight. Hold your bucket up by the stove door when dumping ash in and the majority of the ash dust will fly up the chimney. I'm not a fan of ash pans myself....one less gasket to go bad. My 2 pennies.

Yes when taking out ashes it is inevitable that some ash will escape. It helps if you hold the bucket in the door of the stove and gently dump it into your bucket. The draw will usually help pull a good majority of the ash dust up the chimney and outside.

Yes, get a stove with a ash pan. Use a 4 inch paint brush to push the ash through the grate. A small issue is when the pan gets full.

Reactions: semipro
I have never used my ash pan. I use it the same way I used my fathers when I was growing up. I let it burn down, scoop almost everything out, and build a fresh fire. Take the ash bucket out and leave it sitting on stone pavers in the back yard for a couple days while it cools off then dump in the compost.