Ash Turds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
Over the last month, I've noticed my stove is churning out some large ash "turds" on the left side of the burn pot. These turds stay in on piece, and slowly grow and grow until the collapse under their own weight. Haven't seen this before, any ideas?

R6Tpfgd.jpg

I've been burning PWIs since December, and only started seeing these now.

I have the same thing coming from both sides of my burn pot. I see them most often when the stove is really cranking. I haven't noticed any ill effects. I'm burning NEWP. I usually pull them out of the pot every once in a while when I scrape. They seem to correspond to a hard build up on the left and right walls of the burn pot.

Those are clinkers....fused ash. They form when you have low-fusion temperature minerals in the pellet ash that glob together. Maybe try some more combustion air? Also, check to see if some of the burnpot holes are plugged up. Clinkers form best in a "reducing" atmosphere (less air than required for complete combustion).

I get those too. But on both sides, the middle stays pretty clean

I am getting the same thing as you when I burn CUBEX pellets.Large and long (Turds).If I switch over to Okies or Vermonts I have no problem so I dont think It is the stove. I will no buy CUBEX again I find them very dirty and I get 3 times the ash as other premium pellets

Z target burn pot and clean :p (reference to OP's avatar).

I have burned the same pellet pretty much all season. The turds I get are very fragile and will just collapse if you try to grab them. They eventually just fall over the edge of the burn pot if ignored. Generally they start to appear when the burn pot has not been scraped for a few to three days or if the stove is burning less intense for long periods of time. I have also noticed that sometimes a series of bags in the batch seem to ash more than others.

If your seeing turds more than usual, consider the possibility that the stove and venting is due for a good cleaning.

Many pellets will give you similar ash fusions and many will not. It all depends upon the composition of wood. Either way, it really is not a problem. Just take the little "scraper tool" that Harman so generously gives away with each stove and every morning (or whenever) you fill the hopper, take four seconds of your time and open the door and scrape out the ash pot. Then this will not happen. And if you don't do this, well then the absolute worst that will come of it is that you will see this thing hanging from your burn pot.

and all this B.S. about Harman being a "smart stove".....Let me tell you, I have owned a Harman for 7 or 8 years now, and I love it. I would not want anything other that a Harman (except maybe a Quad) But all this crap about regulating temps to within one degree using an ESP.....BULL S#IT!!! Not happening.

Do they make "Depends" for pellet stoves??

and all this B.S. about Harman being a "smart stove".....Let me tell you, I have owned a Harman for 7 or 8 years now, and I love it. I would not want anything other that a Harman (except maybe a Quad) But all this crap about regulating temps to within one degree using an ESP.....BULL S#IT!!! Not happening.

Awww c'mon. It must be smart, it's a Harman ! ==c

You should have just asked the stove...I hear the Harman's are smart!!;)

Funny thing is my dumb stove doesn't know how to make a clinker or ash turd. ;em

I'll be right over to pick up them pellets that smart Harmone is having issues burning. My beast will eat em like candy! ~~~~~~ ::-)

I get something similar on the back wall of my 6041. It's not hard, just fluffy ash that piles up. It starts off looking like a termite tunnel and keeps growing.

Doesn't seem to matter what pellets I burn. I know when it gets too big that its time to clean the stove.

Turds in a Harman? Never.... ;)

That does look crazy though. I have never seen anything like that.

I thinks it's fused ash more than a clinker. Mine does the same with hardwood pellets only. It breaks when you touch it. I had one turd that was pretty impressive, I didn't wanna scrape it out. Even at the stove shop their Harmans ash logs too.

I get the same thing in my Harman ( smart stove) and just attribute it to a cheaper pellet. I buy box store pellets for my stove at 200 a ton. I tried better pellets and did not build up the TURD. but like CT pellet said it does not affect the way my stove operates. Just need to empty the ash pan more often. But if I am saving over 80 dollars a ton Ill empty the pan it takes all of 1 minute. I clean my stove every sunday regardless of how much I burn. Its just a routine for me. So the only difference is the ash pan and extra money for BEER and chips for when I watch HOCKEY

I get these in my XXV, more when I burn hardwoods. I see them much less frequently with softwoods, and when I do, they usually collapse easily.

The hardwood turds can be rock hard.

I get the very same stuff with the nut shells. It's dirt and other none burnables that cause it.

Stoves like the old Quadrafire 1000 that ran full on with a very high pot temp will reduces these "TURDS" to a very hard nearly glass like CLINKER in the bottom of the pot.

Just part of life with a pellet stove.

Running really high end $$$$$ pellet fuel that has very little low quality materials will eliminate the ash turds.

We just do a turd patrol twice daily to scrape the pot and then go again.

No worries.

I can live with the low cost fuel and deal with the turds.
At a penny and a half a pound for my heating fuel, turds are welcome anytime.

Snowy

Over the last month, I've noticed my stove is churning out some large ash "turds" on the left side of the burn pot. These turds stay in on piece, and slowly grow and grow until the collapse under their own weight. Haven't seen this before, any ideas?

I've been burning PWIs since December, and only started seeing these now.

If it happens more on damp mornings or damp days, then the Selkirk DT venting that pre-heats the burn air with help reduce them also.

Status
Not open for further replies.