Ash Vac - Best BANG for your buck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mjhco6

Jan 29, 2018
VIRGINIA
Looking for an economical Ash Vac for routine cleaning. Post what you use and what you think the pros and cons are.

Powersmiths are great. I have one and I sell or give them to almost every customer I sell a stove to. The vacuum shuts itself off when the motor is getting hot to prevent itself from burning up which I think is a plus though some people complain about it... I guess they’d rather burn the motor up and fill their house with smoke. As with most ashvacs you have to clean it out and clean the filters regularly or you’ll start leaking ash when you turn it on. You can find negative reviews on anything online but my personal experience is that out of the 900-1500 of these units that I have out there I’ve only ever had 3-6 of them returned.

Reactions: Mjhco6
Power smith for the win! Local Home Depot didn't have any in stock, but I purchased one on Amazon. It seemed like it didn't come with the filter, so I bought a filter and the cleaning accessory kit. Thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: AccentraRRT
Looking for an economical Ash Vac for routine cleaning. Post what you use and what you think the pros and cons are.
powersmith also..
it advertises many uses like vacuuming your carpet with an attachment but,
i wanted it exclusivly for pellet stove ash.. not for any of the other things it can do.
therefore, i do not need an ash vacuum with the strongest suction in the known universe which many naysayers exspect or will
give it a thumbs down because it won't hold a bowling ball in the air..
it is way fine for pellet stove ash..

Shop vac with yellow drywall bags

Reactions: Mjhco6 and bogieb
I've used a small hang-on Shop Vac (2.5 gal) with yellow filters and it worked fine. I still use it for other stuff now that I have a dedicated ash vac.

A couple of years ago I got a Power Smith and was underwhelmed by the suction from the start. And it was massively noisy. Then the motor went south for no good reason and I declined to even try to get it fixed since I was not really happy with it to begin with (and it was like 1 week after the warranty period ended). I went back to using my little Shop Vac for a while.

Then I found a Shop Vac ash vac on sale and have been very happy with it. Only wish it had a longer power cord. There is just enough for my stove to outlet set ups, but there is no slack. Other than that small issue (because I am aware they make extension cords to help alleviate that issue :)), it has been great.

My wife bought a Cleva in 2011 and we have been using it since then with success. The only thing I do not like is the cloth filter fit sucks! I am never too sure it is completely sealed.

However, I am now using a commercial Sid Harvey S14 5 gallon that I borrowed from a friend. Holy crap! Do not cheap out on an ash vacuum!
This thing really sucks like you would not believe! A huge bonus is that parts are available to repair it when needed.

I am guessing the cost for a commercial soot vac will be way out of most people's budget so get the best you can swing (Buy once, Cry once!)

product_photo1.jpg

Reactions: bogieb and Mjhco6
I use a $39 Rigid shop vac that was a closeout at HD.

Dan

I do too, though I paid quite a bit more for mine. I wanted a smaller one I could keep next to the stove, maintaining a safe clearance.

I used to use a beater canister vac with HEPA bags I'd find for pennies at the resale. I'd just stick any bag in there that would remotely fit. Worked good but I wanted something better.

Have a PowerSmith here. For pellet stove and fireplace use only. Noisy little vac, but works good!

I fired my new power smith up for the first time today. Worked great, cleaned the entire stove except the clean out tee with the tube attachment. I turned the vacuum on after I put the tube attachment on. It came on for a split second then quit. Motor was warm to the touch ever since I started using the vac and red "full" indicator kept indicating full. I would keep checking inside but the vac was in fact NOT full.. any ideas?

Reactions: bogieb
it has a two year warranty! Just sayin....give them a call

How To Get Service

Contact our toll-free consumer service line at 1-888-552-8665 to make a warranty claim or send the tool prepaid to Richpower Industries Inc, 736 Hampton Road, Williamston, SC 29697, Attn. Warranty Repair for warranty service. You must also include a dated proof of purchase (for example, a receipt of purchase).

it has a two year warranty! Just sayin....give them a call

How To Get Service

Contact our toll-free consumer service line at 1-888-552-8665 to make a warranty claim or send the tool prepaid to Richpower Industries Inc, 736 Hampton Road, Williamston, SC 29697, Attn. Warranty Repair for warranty service. You must also include a dated proof of purchase (for example, a receipt of purchase).

UPDATE:
I let it cool down, and it started working again. I was able to finish cleaning my stove. If this vac acts up again I will update this thread. Thanks.

Reactions: bogieb and kenora
I fired my new power smith up for the first time today. Worked great, cleaned the entire stove except the clean out tee with the tube attachment. I turned the vacuum on after I put the tube attachment on. It came on for a split second then quit. Motor was warm to the touch ever since I started using the vac and red "full" indicator kept indicating full. I would keep checking inside but the vac was in fact NOT full.. any ideas?
I get the red full indicator also way too soon.
i ignore it and take a peek inside it once in a while..
no biggie for me.

I use a small shop vac with yellow drywall dust bags but they do still allow small amounts of dust into the house, plus they are expensive. Thinking of one of these ash vacs but want one that won't leak dust into the house.

I use a small shop vac with yellow drywall dust bags but they do still allow small amounts of dust into the house, plus they are expensive. Thinking of one of these ash vacs but want one that won't leak dust into the house.

I made sure to get a shop vac that uses a cartridge filter rather than a bag. I could choose regular filter, fine dust, or HEPA. It's been over a year and I'm still using the same fine dust filter that came with it. Just lightly use the vacuum tube to knock out the filter pleats when I dump the vac. I'll replace the filter whenever it starts leaking, but so far so good. One thing I do however is run the vac for a few seconds before bringing it in the house and shake it some, that kicks out anything that got in it when cleaning, so it doesn't go into the house.