Ash Vaccum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
Best, Middle and low end models? Buying for my mom.

The power smith brand is good. Can do warm ash, but once you see any embers, you can burn hole in the filter

It's an open fireplace... should be cold by the next morning.

It's an open fireplace... should be cold by the next morning.
Absolutely not cold the next morning. I find hot coals days later in ash. And no vac can suck up hot coals

I understand, I'm just saying it's no stove. Any other brands? It's not a primary heat source (obviously) So I'll instruct her to wait 2 days to vac.

I understand, I'm just saying it's no stove. Any other brands? It's not a primary heat source (obviously) So I'll instruct her to wait 2 days to vac.
You also pretty much always want an ash bed I wouldn't vac untill the end of the year

It has a grate with a gas starter under it.

Santa brought me a power smith several years ago. Works great, though as mentioned, any glowing ember will hit the filter and begin to burn a hole. (don't ask how I know!) So cold ash only.

The other consideration is that with such a fine filter, it plugs fairly quickly, so if you go in thinking you're going to suck up the entire ash bed, a couple shots of that and you have the whole vacuum / filter to clean out which is way more hassle than shoveling ashes in the first place. Sadly, there is no 'disposable bag' option as a relatively cheap paper bag would be a fire hazard, and anything more exotic would likely be too costly to be disposable.

So your best bet is scooping/shoveling/ash panning ashes as normal, and using the vacuum to clean up any small spills and as a 'dust collector' to help with 'fly ash' when doing the normal cleaning. Then pick a nice, windy day to dump the vacuum and shake out the filter which has collected the finest dust known to man. Ideally stand 90 degrees to the oncoming wind for the dumping / shaking. Straight down wind, is obviously bad, and straight up wind will make eddy currents around your body and suck ash back in your face, too! (Again, don't ask how I know!)

Santa brought me a power smith several years ago. Works great, though as mentioned, any glowing ember will hit the filter and begin to burn a hole. (don't ask how I know!) So cold ash only.

The other consideration is that with such a fine filter, it plugs fairly quickly, so if you go in thinking you're going to suck up the entire ash bed, a couple shots of that and you have the whole vacuum / filter to clean out which is way more hassle than shoveling ashes in the first place. Sadly, there is no 'disposable bag' option as a relatively cheap paper bag would be a fire hazard, and anything more exotic would likely be too costly to be disposable.

So your best bet is scooping/shoveling/ash panning ashes as normal, and using the vacuum to clean up any small spills and as a 'dust collector' to help with 'fly ash' when doing the normal cleaning. Then pick a nice, windy day to dump the vacuum and shake out the filter which has collected the finest dust known to man. Ideally stand 90 degrees to the oncoming wind for the dumping / shaking. Straight down wind, is obviously bad, and straight up wind will make eddy currents around your body and suck ash back in your face, too! (Again, don't ask how I know!)
Sounds like i should tell her to just keep shoveling the old fashion way.