Ash Vacuums.... Are they worth it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjones139

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2013
Orange County, NY
I have an Rigid ash vacuum and I'm thoroughly disgusted! It blows dust through the top exhaust port after just a few minutes of use. I check the connections and all is secure! There is no more than a coffee cup of ash in the bottom. I even put water in the bottom of the canister and it still comes out? Prior to buying this I used a shop vac with water on the bottom and it worked better. Am I wrong to think that you SHOULD NOT have ash coming through the exhaust or am I just freak'n NUTS??? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Not a big fan of ash vacs. Very weak suction, typically short hoses, too loud.....

Prefer to use small shop vac with paper cartridge filter. Stove has to be cold though, hot coals will burn paper filter which are rather expensive to replace, dont ask how i know. Short of this issue, they don't blow dust inside house and much greater suction than ash vac.

A quality shop vac(not nes expensive) with drywall dust bags,or the manufacturers equivalent of fine dust bags work great,do not vacuum embers/hot ash only cold.The drywall bags/filters are awesome.

I just can't understand the fact that you spend the money on a ash vac and it's supposed to have a quality dry particle filter and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do! I have tried my Shop-Vac in the past with putting water on the bottom and I never had the amount of dust coming out the exhaust port than I do with a ash vac. I actually thought that buying an ash vac would prevent the possibility of this ever happening!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I have an ash vac with double cartridge filters inside and no dust blows out even when full, though by the time it's full the cartridges need a good shaking out too and it begins to strain to draw. It will give a puff of dust on restarting after cleaning the filters, which is not a problem if you remember to just cycle the thing once outside. I've done 3-4 cleanings before it needs dumping. The best part is it came free with my P61A purchase. And I don't have to drag my shop vac up from the basement, I just keep the ash vac behind a corner placed living room chair. For free it seems to work very well.

Last edited:
I have an ash vac with double cartridge filters inside and no dust blows out even when full, though by the time it's full the cartridges need a good shaking out too and it begins to strain to draw. It will give a puff of dust on restarting after cleaning the filters, which is not a problem if you remember to just cycle the thing once outside. By that time I've done 3-4 cleanings though. The best part is it came free with my P61A purchase. And I don't have to drag my shop vac up from the basement, I just keep the ash vac behind a corner placed living room chair. For free it seems to work very well.
Can you please tell me the brand or model?

Can you please tell me the brand or model?

A.W.Perkins model 400 on the official tag. It has a Hearth Country 400 sticker on the side of it, which is irrelevant I imagine.

I would think the Rigid would be fine, maybe you have the wrong filter for it or something. It gets a 4 star rating and that wouldn't be so if they all blew ash everywhere.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
I would think the Rigid would be fine, maybe you have the wrong filter for it or something. It gets a 4 star rating and that wouldn't be so if they all blew ash everywhere.
I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I'm now going to do a little research to see if I could get a better filter for my current vacuum and also make sure that something is not malfunctioning.

I've used -THIS- one for a few years now and have no complaints. Works great for what I use it for.

I have an Rigid ash vacuum and I'm thoroughly disgusted! It blows dust through the top exhaust port after just a few minutes of use. I check the connections and all is secure! There is no more than a coffee cup of ash in the bottom. I even put water in the bottom of the canister and it still comes out? Prior to buying this I used a shop vac with water on the bottom and it worked better. Am I wrong to think that you SHOULD NOT have ash coming through the exhaust or am I just freak'n NUTS??? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
40.00 HOMEDEPOT WET/DRY..[STINGER]
WHITE SOCK/CLAMP FREE. CATCHES ALL THE DUST..
150585-1cba485b62e84169f788065d8638cc22.jpg

40.00 HOMEDEPOT WET/DRY..[STINGER]
WHITE SOCK/CLAMP FREE. CATCHES ALL THE DUST..View attachment 187581
LOL.... My exhaust is on the top of the canister so a sock will not work. I tried a semi wet towel over the exhaust, but the motor gets too hot and then shuts off.

Reactions: Tonyray
I have the PowerSmith ash vac and I love it. Yeah the hose is short but it stays tucked in a corner within reach of the stove. If there's an Ocean State Job Lot near you, they usually have them for about $69-75. This weekend is there service/veterans appreciation sale. If you or someone you know is active duty, retired, or member of VFW or other service org you can probably get 25% off.

I use a Loveless Ash Vac. The thought of sucking ash which may have a hot spot into a plastic can with paper filters seems penny wise and pound foolish.

Reactions: jjones139
I also have a PowerSmith ash vac. Works as advertised. Although, I only vac when ash is 3+ hours cold, I find a regular shop vac & bag easier to deal with.

I prefer having a separate ash vac, I have the green powersmith which is metal, so I don't have to worry about hot ashes (I usually vacumn as soon as i can after it cools, usually only 30 minutes or so). Anyways, it small, and dedicated for this purpose, and doesn't need bags.

Also, I can keep my shop vac available for other things and don't have to worry about buying special bags, etc.

Better have a compressor or some way of blowing out filtres, or you'll go broke buying them or throw it in the garbage.

Who me? I am already broke.

Anyways, I went a whole year on the same filter, haven't even opened the second one (I bought an extra when I bought the vacuum). I just go out and bang the filter (which is very sturdy) against a tree a few times and throw it back in. I'm betting I can go this whole year too on the same filter. I don't see what the big deal is, it's heavy cloth with a rubber seal around the outside. Should last a long time.

Reactions: jackhammer
This is my fourth season with the same filters in my ash vac. I just remove them and bang them and shake out the ash and put them back in.

I've read through all these comments and I'm seriously thinking my Rigid ash vac is defective. No sooner to I start cleaning it spews dust (not ash) out of the top exhaust vent. I called Rigid customer service and they trouble shoot with me only to hit a dead end. Finally, the CS agent recommended I return for a replacement. Honestly, I think I will stick with my old reliable small Craftsman shop vacuum, which does a much better job. All I do is put water on the bottom to cut down on the dust and it DOESN'T spew out ash!!!! Thanks for all your recommendations.... This site is GREAT!!!!

I have the power smith ash vac as well. Best $65 bucks I ever spent. Small, easy to use and it's meant for ashes. Metal hose, metal canister. No problem if you grab a hot ember or pellet. I've had it 3 years and still on the original filter. I clean the filter every other time I use it.

Who me? I am already broke.

Anyways, I went a whole year on the same filter, haven't even opened the second one (I bought an extra when I bought the vacuum). I just go out and bang the filter (which is very sturdy) against a tree a few times and throw it back in. I'm betting I can go this whole year too on the same filter. I don't see what the big deal is, it's heavy cloth with a rubber seal around the outside. Should last a long time.

I replaced the two filters on my love-less ash vac last year. 17 years of trouble free service! I also "bang the filter against a tree"! I agree with others comments about suction not as good as a shop type vac, but I like mine.

I've read through all these comments and I'm seriously thinking my Rigid ash vac is defective. No sooner to I start cleaning it spews dust (not ash) out of the top exhaust vent. I called Rigid customer service and they trouble shoot with me only to hit a dead end. Finally, the CS agent recommended I return for a replacement. Honestly, I think I will stick with my old reliable small Craftsman shop vacuum, which does a much better job. All I do is put water on the bottom to cut down on the dust and it DOESN'T spew out ash!!!! Thanks for all your recommendations.... This site is GREAT!!!!
They're pretty simple devices, wonder if you have the wrong filter in there ? Pretty much if you have the right filter and it fits tight, no gaps, no cracks or holes and seals, then it shouldn't spew dust/ash. In fact I watched a youtube video on a rigid ash vac and at the end The poster put up in exclamation marks; " not a single particle came out !" He seemed to like his.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjones139
Status
Not open for further replies.