ashes and charcoal, can you tell...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 12, 2020
Parkers Lake, KY
We have been enjoying the Hardy H2 and really saving on our electric bill but I have been working to keep the ash grate clean from both ashes and charcoal like debris that seem to choke the air flow and restrict a more efficient burn.

So, here's my question: can y'all tell, from the ashes in the ash pan, how seasoned the wood was that was burned? AND, do you have to manage the ashes a lot to keep the fire burning by removing so much ash almost daily?

Thanks for your expertise...

Regards,

Liam

I haven't burned a Hardy unit and every model acts a little different. In general I couldn't tell a big difference in ashes when using different wood with different moisture levels. Different species made a much larger difference.
You need a hole up through the grate, burning larger wood will probably make less coals/charcoal. I basically just work the ash through as needed.