Ashes from chimney, normal? ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jblivesmall

Oct 6, 2017
revelstoke bc
I notice as I stepped outside after I started a fire the other day that quite a bit of ashes was floating out of the chimney.
I did use a fair bit of paper though. Is that why?
should I be concerned and use less paper?
Is this why I read somewhere we shouldn’t burn cardbord or something? I do trow the odd piece in.
My pipe and chimney ads up to 132” straight up topped with a rain cap. tks

Yeah, paper ash. For that reason, I use SuperCedars or Meeco Firelighting Squares.
P1030655.JPG P1030656.JPG P1030657.JPG P1030660.JPG

What stove (can be put it in your signature?)

Reactions: jblivesmall
Use a minimal amount of paper to start a fire. With dry kindling 2-3 sheets of newpaper, balled up should be plenty. Don't use the stove to burn trash and junk mail.

just updated my signature!
I was curious weather you had a cat stove because burning anything but wood, b/w newsprint or paraffin firestarters could damage the cat.

I see they recommend 15' chimney...yours drafting well with a slightly shorter stack?

Use a minimal amount of paper to start a fire. With dry kindling 2-3 sheets of newpaper, balled up should be plenty. Don't use the stove to burn trash and junk mail.

ok. so the ashes are likely from paper then?

what is a ‘cat’?....this looks like homemade firestarter, what is it?
Sorry, 'cat' is a catalytic combustor, but your stove achieves the re-burn of the smoke with secondary air.
The orange hockey puck starter that I chopped up is the SuperCedar..cedar chips and paraffin wax. Yes, some folks have made their own..

Reactions: jblivesmall
I see they recommend 15' chimney...yours drafting well with a slightly shorter stack?

if it drafter better I would have to sit by the stove and feed it wood every 10 minutes, it burns so hot and fast.
I can have the door wide open no matter at which stage of the burning and not even a speck of smoke has leaked out of that stove as yet. I was stressing out about having less than 15 and it turns out totally fine.

Sorry, 'cat' is a catalytic combustor, but your stove achieves the re-burn of the smoke with secondary air.
The orange hockey puck starter that I chopped up is the SuperCedar..cedar chips and paraffin wax. Yes, some folks have made their own..

And also . . .

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: firefighterjake