Ashford 25 loading door issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikew78

Jan 16, 2023
Ct, USA
New to the forums and just had an Ashford 25 insert installed in November 2022. We have been having loading door issues since the stove was installed and I need some advice.

When the stove is cold the loading door is tight and passes the paper test. However, when the stove is warm/hot the door seems to change. The seal is not airtight and the stove does not pass the paper test. The other issue is that the handle loosens up quite a bit when the stove is warm/hot and if I push it down all the way the loading door noticeable loosens and the paper test fails horribly. The only way to get anything close to an airtight seal (that passes the paper test) is to push the handle down and then lift it up slightly. This does help but it is still not airtight, and this is very frustrating and is impacting burn times.

Any ideas what is causing this? I spoke w Blaze king and they said that the stove will change a little when hot/warm but this is not a little change. I just sent in the formal tech support form and am waiting on their response.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Can the latch be adjusted?

You may want to replace the door gasket and install it a little puffier.

New to the forums and just had an Ashford 25 insert installed in November 2022. We have been having loading door issues since the stove was installed and I need some advice.

When the stove is cold the loading door is tight and passes the paper test. However, when the stove is warm/hot the door seems to change. The seal is not airtight and the stove does not pass the paper test. The other issue is that the handle loosens up quite a bit when the stove is warm/hot and if I push it down all the way the loading door noticeable loosens and the paper test fails horribly. The only way to get anything close to an airtight seal (that passes the paper test) is to push the handle down and then lift it up slightly. This does help but it is still not airtight, and this is very frustrating and is impacting burn times.

Any ideas what is causing this? I spoke w Blaze king and they said that the stove will change a little when hot/warm but this is not a little change. I just sent in the formal tech support form and am waiting on their response.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I know what you mean. I have the boxer which has the same firebox and perhaps the same style door. I noticed the door is manufactured with a outward bow. So the center of the door sticks out further than the two edges do. I figure it must be for expansion once the door gets hot?? I find the two edges of the door seal tight, but as I move a dollar bill towards the center it's waay looser. There is no possible way to adjust the center of the door without over-tightening both sides.

tempImageqTYfev.png