Ashley Wood Stove Broken Catalytic Element

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kentucky Greg

Nov 6, 2012
I have an Ashley wood stove / insert. It is marked as a model AFI-24. I was putting in firewood yesterday and knocked a part down from the top. Google seems to indicate that it is a catalytic element. I don't know much of what's going on but I am having trouble knowing how to put Humpty back together again. If I had a wood stove expert sitting next to me, I would ask:

1) What is the padding / foam that was around the element. Is it important? I don't see it for sale. At first I thought it was just compressed ash but I'm not sure.

2) Can I reuse the element that fell out even though one of them is broken in the middle? Amazon sells something that looks pretty close if I need to replace it:

Midwest Hearth Wood Stove Catalytic Combustor Replacement Catalyst Vermont Castings Defiant and Encore Flexburn (2.5" x 12.75" x 1" Ceramic)​

Amazon product ASIN B0754NSKBX

3) What happens if I use the stove without the catalytic element and cushiony stuff in place?

Any thoughts you all have would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6254.jpg IMG_6255.jpg IMG_6256.jpg IMG_6257.jpg