Ashley Wood Stove Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smores426

Oct 14, 2023
Mount Juliet, TN
We recently moved into a new (to us) home and the seller was a family member of the previous owner without many details on the house. They did tell us the stove does a great job of warming things up in the winter but didn't know when it was last used.

An unimpressive chimney company came out and said the hadn't ever seen a stove like this before with the two vents to move heat to the kitchen and hallway. They inspected the liner with a camera and said the liner looks good but not to use the stove because of the surface rust and warped walls.

This is our first wood stove and we'd love to use it as temps start to drop. Does anyone know what kind of stove this is? If we fix the rope gasket and warped walls is it likely safe to use? Is there anything else we should know?

IMG_9315.jpeg IMG_9316.jpeg IMG_9317.jpeg IMG_9323.jpeg IMG_9326.jpeg IMG_9348.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.27.01 AM.png

The rust looks to be superficial. I would be a bit more concerned about the condition of the blower wiring after all these years. I see deteriorating firebrick. Is it the baffle that is warped? The firebox floor is unusual, are the lower ashpan doors also gasketed?

What is this?
1697312829855.png

Yeah, I can see a flu collar on the top of a pic, so the stove is top vent. That pic looks like a horizontal under a stairway?

Yeah, I can see a flu collar on the top of a pic, so the stove is top vent. That pic looks like a horizontal under a stairway?
It looks like regular warm air pipe, not chimney pipe. That's why I asked. I was wondering if it was some sort of heat scavenger.

The horizontal pipe takes the warm air from behind the wood stove and vents to the kitchen. The stove itself is sealed and has a flue liner in a masonry chimney. I think the last fireplace company might have put the parts of the floor back together incorrectly. There are bricks and metal grates.

From more research, it was probably made between 1978-1980. I'm trying to find some sort of manual for a similar stove to determine how it should all go back together.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 3.02.42 PM.png