Aspen wood stove temperature 700 too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deere-nh

Aug 30, 2022
NH
Hi all, I recently installed a used vermont casting aspen woodstove in my fireplace. It is inside an exterior masonry chimney, inside a 10" SS liner (for the old fireplace) and vented out with a 6" liner. The liner is 20' with a cap.

I do have a cold air intake that is venting in my basement at the moment (not currently hooked up). I placed a plastic bag over the pipe and cut a slit to limit the air flow. I do seem to get good burn times 8 to 10 hours.

My question is how hot should it run? Every time I load wood to tops out to around 700°F. Is this normal? I am not able to see the back of the woodstove but I can feel the damper and it is closed when hot.

On a side note, should I be able to open the door anytime and not have smoke plumbing out?

20230117_174914.jpg

i assume 700F is the stove top temp? thats fine...probably throwing good heat at that temp.

dont those stove not have any air control its all automatic?

i assume 700F is the stove top temp? thats fine...probably throwing good heat at that temp.

dont those stove not have any air control its all automatic?
Yes stove top temperature. They have a thermostat controlled air intake.

Thanks for the feed back.

This must be a C3 (no ash pan, correct?). If you haven't already, take a look through this thread: Vermont Casting Aspen C3 - How hot should it run

It was a good thread but unfortunately got hijacked over the last couple of pages and locked.

I'm glad you verified your damper is fully closing. Where exactly are you measuring the stovetop temp, and what are you using to measure it? To summarize my results, I have seen over 900 on the cooktop surface, which doesn't have the insulated blanket underneath it. Things were 800ish or less over the rest of the stovetop. 700 seems pretty reasonable.