At 96, he finally gets to save a life using his own technique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One "aw, s_hit" wipes out a lot of "attaboys" every time.

His method has saved a lot of lives
It saved my brother 30+ years ago (and me some years later) - thanks Dr. Heimlich, thanks dad. From what could have been a tragic event thankfully just turned back to an otherwise uneventful resumption of dinner with friends and family.
Who knows how many untold success stories.
All should learn the Heimlich Method, especially parents.

One "aw, s_hit" wipes out a lot of "attaboys" every time.

Here in the fire house they say it's a 1:100 ratio (1 You Messed Up Big Time : 100 Attaboys).

I was sitting in front of this computer late afternoon yesterday trying to get some work done when it dawned on me there was some sort of commotion going on in the living room. I come in & see the most freaked out thing I've seen in this place - older son with younger son in the Heimlich. Don't think he really knew what he was doing & they were both pretty shook up, and me too once I realized what was going on - but it apparently worked. Piece of tuna sandwich gone wrong. Just now clicked on this thread. It's been a long time since it was shown to me & I'm not sure I'd get it right either now - but yes, it should be shown to everyone. I think it's time for a refresher - it's a pretty spooky thing to have happen.

Last edited:
Glad he's all right. That would have shook me up too.

Glad all is well with your family. Most in my family, maybe all?, have had first aid. Dad & one son are firefighters, one nurse, two teachers. I used to teach first aid for a pre-employment program. A definite must for remote locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.